AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: AMD Sempron 2800+ = 64-bit or 32-bit?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/19/2005 01:38 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/19/2005 01:38 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ziggy2k1ro

Hello, i have some questions about some AMD products. The big question is how can i recognize a CPU by OPN when the TRAY coded CPU is selled BOXED? example:

SDA2800AIO3BA is the TRAY code for a Sempron CPU but i can buy the CPU Boxed with the 64-bit specification on the box!!!

Please tell me how can i be sure that this CPU is 64-bit or 32-bit? Where can i find this information on AMD's Web Site?

I have questions and for 2500+ and 3000+ versions, still TRAY codes but Boxed. Please i need a quick answer about this problem.

NOTE: CPU-Z tells me that the 2800+ CPU is Palermo D0 type with 64-bit instructions but at POST i don't get the info "64-bit CPU" on a NF3 250Gb motherboard.

And on AMD site i did not find anywhere some refferences about 64-bit Semprons, they all seems to be 32-bit!!!
 10/19/2005 04:27 AM

Author Icon
AMD808

Socket 754 Semprons with an OPN ending in 'BX' are 64-bit enabled. Any other OPN, regardless of the revision (ALL Sempron 64's will be revision E6), will NOT be 64-bit enabled.

As for CPU-Z, if you're using an older version, then that will need to be fixed; if that issue hasn't been fixed yet, then they will need to recompile the program to allow the Sempron 64 to be recognized properly.

See here' ">http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/ for more information.

By the way, if in doubt, PM Greyhound.

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 10/19/2005 10:57 AM

Author Icon
zir_blazer
Code Warrior

You can also read my Post on this Thread' ">http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=56575. The Retail Semprons versions that comes with the CV surfix in it are all Palermo Rev. D0 (Winchester based) with x86-64 support. However, the Processor itself that comes from those Retail versions still uses the OPN with the BA surfix of a regular Palermo Rev. D0. What I don't know is how on the earth recognize an x86-64 supporting Sempron with BA surfix (Because as AMD808 sayed you, all the ones with BX surfix are the ones that officialy supports x86-64) that comes from a Retail package with the CV surfix from the regular BA version, because both Processors seems to use the same OPN...
 10/19/2005 10:59 AM

Author Icon
r3sil3

^^ If i didnt know what you were talking about, that would be so confusing....

Nice post!

-------------------------
NO PC As Of NOW!

I'll still be on here once in a while.
 10/19/2005 11:10 AM

Author Icon
ziggy2k1ro

QUOTE(zir_blazer @ Oct 19 2005, 04:57 PM)You can also read my Post on this Thread' ">http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=56575. The Retail Semprons versions that comes with the CV surfix in it are all Palermo Rev. D0 (Winchester based) with x86-64 support. However, the Processor itself that comes from those Retail versions still uses the OPN with the BA surfix of a regular Palermo Rev. D0. What I don't know is how on the earth recognize an x86-64 supporting Sempron with BA surfix (Because as AMD808 sayed you, all the ones with BX surfix are the ones that officialy supports x86-64) that comes from a Retail package with the CV surfix from the regular BA version, because both Processors seems to use the same OPN...
[right][snapback]526672[/snapback][/right]

Yes, i wanted to be sure about that, involves about 50 CPU's. I wanted a clear situation because the official channel AMD vendor seems to sell it as 32-bit CPU and another vendor has same coded CPU in a BOX that is marqued 64-bit!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information