Increase font size
Topic Title: System Freezes/Hangs During XP INSTALL
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/10/2005 08:46 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/10/2005 08:46 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
REBEL2234

-Power Supply 550W
3.3V @32Amp
5.0V @40Amp
12.0V@24Amp
-Mother Board
ASRock K7VT4A PRO w/ AMD Sempron 2500
-RAM
512MB Buffalo brand ram DDR400 set @ 200mhz
-Hard Drive
120GB Maxtor
-Video Card
Geforce 5200 128MB
-Heat Sink
Foxconn CMI-P3-1S

Ok my problem is when I'm trying to install Windows XP it gets throught the drivers that it needs to load and gets to "Starting Windows" then Locks (no restart) the caps lock or number lock lights will no longer work. Ive tried it a few times and once I got the "blue screen of death" and another time it acutally got further then the "starting windows screen" up to the formatting the drive with NTFS or FAT file systems. Now this is what is stumping me, In the CMOS it says CPU temp is running at 120-126 F or about 49 C. Which is about in the range (certinaly not enouhph to lock it up). I think, but I am not sure that my Heat Sink might be too small. When in CMOS there is nothing hapening with your cpu (or very little) so im thinking that when it starts to get past the "starting windows" screen it must start to use quite a bit more processing power and overheat. Could somone look up my heatsink and tell me what they think? I would leave a link but most forums dont allow linking to other sites.

Thank you
 03/12/2005 06:20 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
AMD808

Linking is fine - as long as you are not advertising, or advertising a competitor's product.

You could very well be right about your heatsink. It is rated up to an Athlon XP 2200+. The heatsink may be just shy of 'cutting it' for your processor. It would be a good idea to look into a heatsink that is rated for an Athlon XP 3200+ or higher.

Have you tried your RAM in different slots? Cleared CMOS?

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information