Increase font size
Topic Title: Sempron 2200 can a cpu cause\/
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/13/2005 06:25 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/13/2005 06:25 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
jazza12345

ok i had a Athlon Xp2400+ on a Gigabyte GA7Vm 400M mobo (FSB 333 DDR333) i bought a new mobo the Gigabyte GA7VM400AM - RZ (it has SATA,DDR 400 And 400FSB so i could upgrade later) I Gave My Old Mobo to my dad and Bought him a Sempron 2200 After checking compatibility on gigabyte site it was all fine so long as it had the latest bios update which i did
But now i tried to install Windows XP on my dads new system which has a new Western Digital 40gb HD and windows refuses to detect the drive! it just says there is no HD press F3 to reboot.
Before Any One thinks im a idiot with a simple problem just read what ive tested...

The Motherboard Tested The day i swaped over Working Fine
The HD Tested In 3 Other Systems Installs Win Xp Fine oh BIOS DETECTS IT!
The Memory Working Fine was what i was useing pc2100
The cables tried 5 diferent cables And tested em all in 3 other systems
The Cd-rom..Tested In 3 other pc's And even tried a new 1
CMOS SETUP tried fail safe settings and even reset cmos
ive tried other hd's in the system and same prob the only thing i havent tested is the CPU but sureley this wouldnt have any affect but why am i on a Amd Processor forum i hear you say.

i heard somewhere that the origional windows xp does not like the new sempron chips in rare cases is this posible and can a CPU cause this kind of Problem Help Me Please Ive been trying So Many Variables Over 2 Days Im Going Nuts!

ErroR! its actually a Sempron 2400 chip sorry
 03/13/2005 07:35 AM

Author Icon
AMD808

First, and foremost, are your jumper settings correct?

If this is just a single primary master, then there should be no jumper on the hard drive. This applies to Western Digital drive's.

How was the motherboard tested? Was it tested with another hard disk?

Please note that the Sempron is just an Athlon MP/XP. There should be NO issues with this processor and Windows XP.

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 03/13/2005 09:57 AM

Author Icon
jazza12345

ok i have run the drives in many configurations i.e. HD on IDE0 As Master(no Jumpers) With the cdrom as master on IDE1
And Also the drive as Master With Slave Present and the cdrom set to slave on IDE 0 But if it was jumper settings bios wouldnt detect it would it? Because it does

the motherboard was working before i changed it over to the new system (Aprox 1 hour).
it was running in my system with the following...
Athlon XP2400 Cpu
512 Mb DDR333
80gb Westerndigital as master on ide0
Samsung Burner As Slave On ide0
Dvd Rom As Master On ide1
Samsung 10g as slave on ide1
and a g-force 2 mx400 64mb (dont hold that against me )

I have even tried installing xp on the 40gb HD on a different system then putting the drive bak into the sempron pc but windows freezes on boot and restarts or says there are files missing (a different one each time :S) what i dont understand is the system is the same except for the chip and HD and i know the HD is working on 2 other pc's
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information