Increase font size
Topic Title: Sempron 2200+ overclocking problem
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/05/2005 07:58 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/05/2005 07:58 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Zola

I dont know why my processor doesnt wants to overclock .every time when I put the clock from 9 to 9.5 ,10.0 and save it ,it stays like that in bios but nothing change on startup and in windows .i just need advice how to overclock this processor because i dont now how.

-------------------------
[URL=http://www.cgl.uwaterloo.ca/~c...cs/logos/validated.gif]
 02/05/2005 08:21 PM

Author Icon
AMD808

QUOTE (Zola @ Feb 5 2005, 02:58 PM) I dont know why my processor doesnt wants to overclock .every time when I put the clock from 9 to 9.5 ,10.0 and save it ,it stays like that in bios but nothing change on startup and in windows .i just need advice how to overclock this processor because i dont now how.
This' ">http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=16788, is a very good place to start, to learn how to overclock your CPU. I advise you to read this, and or other guides first! You can do serious damage to your system if you do not know what you are doing.

The multiplier on Socket A Semprons are locked. No wire trick in the world will get them fully unlocked.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 02/05/2005 08:22 PM

Author Icon
cufishing

You must have a NF2 chipset. It will allow you to move the setting, but the chip is locked. You cannot change the muti without doing the physical mod.

You can still OC, but you will have to OC both the FSB and memory. Just go slow and easy.

It is the Soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.
It is the Soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.
It is the Soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the right to demonstrate.
It is the Soldier, not the lawyer, who has given us the right to a fair trial.
It is the Soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves under the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.
 02/06/2005 08:53 AM

Author Icon
Zola

Thanks for the quick learning course .i read the overclocking guide ,its great .Just one more qestion .I have an thermaltake venus 12 ,with that cooler to how much mhz can I overclock!?

02/06/2005 09:48 AM

Author Icon
Stone_age
Alpha Geek

each CPU is different, so a answer on how much you can overclock with a particular HSF, is going to be a guess. I would guess that you should be able to go at least 200fsb with that cooler, but temps must be watched closely. Remember, the more the overclock, the lower the max temps need to be. In other words, you can run a stock speed cpu at higher temps, then you can an overclocked cpu. While 60 to 65°c may be fine for a stock clock, it could spell trouble for a overclock, simply because the stress is increased at higher clocks.

Phenom II X6 1055T, Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Phenom II X4 945, Gigabyte MA785G-UD3H
Zacate E-350, MSI E350IS -E45

http://classicplatforms.com
 02/06/2005 11:35 AM

Author Icon
Zola

I overclocked my cpu to 198 mhz fsb an now its working at 1790mhz (1500mhz before) .that is the maximum I can .everithing over puts the cpu back to defaut .temperatures didnt change .its working like before 40-43 *c .i think that is because the mainboard support maximum fsb of 200mhz.iv got epox 8RDA3l with pc3200 kingmax 512ddr memory .Is this realy the maximum speed i can go to by overclocking!?

02/06/2005 11:44 AM

Author Icon
cufishing

QUOTE I overclocked my cpu to 198 mhz fsb an now its working at 1790mhz (1500mhz before) .that is the maximum I can .everithing over puts the cpu back to defaut .
This would then become your max allowable gain. Please consider to back off 1~2 more mhz on the gain. That should drop down to 196FSB with a total gain of about 1.69 ~1.70. This way you are not at the maximum edge, but allow a small overhead.

It is the Soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the right to demonstrate.
It is the Soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves under the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.
 02/06/2005 11:50 AM

Author Icon
Zola

Thanks for the advice i will do that .i just got one more question .iv buyed thermaltake pasive cooler for the ddr memory does anyone knows is it better to put the settings in bios to agressive or turbo .Will I get some promising results in performance!?

02/06/2005 12:04 PM

Author Icon
cufishing

QUOTE (Zola @ Feb 6 2005, 08:50 AM)Thanks for the advice i will do that .i just got one more question .iv buyed thermaltake pasive cooler for the ddr memory does anyone knows is it better to put the settings in bios to agressive or turbo .Will I get some promising results in performance!?
Anytime you cross-x-over into the OC world there are rules.
If you OC with a certain setup, then you run what you got.
If you want to alter, then you MUST back down prior to your alteration. If not, a minor no-POST or no boot is a treat compared to smoke and the smell of fried hardware.

I as well have passive memory cooler, but use the 'manual' mode for memory settings. Turbo will give you a higher gain for stock, with an increase of heat and lower stability %. Aggressive will give you better than stock, with a little boost, but good stability %. If you plan to remain OC'd stick with manual or normal. When you OC you are already stressing all settings. An aggressive OC with an agressive memory setting could also cause a decline in gain %.

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information