Increase font size
Topic Title: Sempron too hot?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/06/2005 04:53 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/06/2005 04:53 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
dumpy

Have begun to build my first computer, bare bones at present but I am concerned with cpu temperature. Based on gigabyte GA-75748L motherboard, my sempron processor 2400+ is fitted to the heatsink and fan that came in the box with it. The health status in bios said cpu temperature around 78 degrees C idle. Fearing melt down I checked that I had fitted it correctly, cleaned off thermal pad and refitted heatsink to processor with Antec thermal grease and as a precaution fitted an Antec 3 speed 80mm case fan to expel air at the rear. Still little difference, case fan on low speed cpu idle at about 75 degrees C, case fan on high speed cpu lowers to 71 degrees C.

I understand max temp for the processor should be 90 degrees C.

I am curious that when cold (having left computer turned off all night) and in a room ambient temp about 20 degrees C that on initial startup cpu temp reported at 51 degrees C. I have seen a thread that mentions

" When I first powered the MB, my idle temperature was 57-60C. Having updated the BIOS, the idle temp went down to 33-36C. I really don't think the actual temperature has really changed between the two BIOS files but rather the calculation that gets done to report the temperature has. Being estimates, both of the sets are probably not correct anyway but I use the temperature numbers as a referee temperatures in my system when and if things go bad! "

Am I worrying about nothing? Once I connect to internet and update bios will cpu temperature problem resolve?
 02/06/2005 05:10 PM

Author Icon
AMD808

Yours is reading a little higher than I would expect, but the BIOS update will correct the higher than normal readings. How much thermal paste did you apply, and where?

Note Gigabyte boards will always read higher than most others because they are read straight from the diode, rather than the socket. So while these temps are higher, they are also more accurate.

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 02/06/2005 06:00 PM

Author Icon
dumpy

thermal paste about equal to 3 grains of rice, spread evenly over the rectangular center metal part of the cpu
 02/06/2005 06:01 PM

Author Icon
AMD808

QUOTE (dumpy @ Feb 6 2005, 01:00 PM) thermal paste about equal to 3 grains of rice, spread evenly over the rectangular center metal part of the cpu
Only need about the size of 1 grain of rice. Too much paste wil insolate the heat.

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information