AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: System reboot without prompt: AMD64 Sempron and Gigabyte motherboard
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/26/2006 02:20 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/26/2006 02:20 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
danieyek

Hi,

I have been building my home servers/computers using AMD Athlon and ASUS motherboard for many years and I have been relatively happy with both.

I wanted to have a AMD64 machine and I bought a AMD64 Sempron CPU. I was just checking out Gigabyte motherboard when buying for this new system.

I'm happy with the CPU speed, but I'm not happy with the stability of the system, because it was so fragile that I could be browsing the web sites heavy with graphics, etc. and this Linux box would crash, leaving no trace of problem that I can find. I find no error reported in the log, etc.

Another doubt is whether x86_64 Linux kernel is less stable than i386 kernel, but my experience with Linux is that typically it was the defective hardware that cause system crashes. So, my prime suspect is not Linux kernel for the cause of my problem.

Is there someway I can troubleshoot the problem more as to what is defective -- the motherboard or the CPU? Which component could cause the system to shut down without warning and leaving no trace? This has never happened before.

This is also the first time I am using Sempron series CPU. I wonder if Sempron is less stable than Athlon for home server that needs to run 24/7.

Pointers to informative resources specific to the products is very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Daniel.
 02/19/2007 12:48 PM

Author Icon
danieyek

I thought the thread was deleted, but it reappeared; so, I'm following up here.

After upgrading to Fedora Core 6, I never get another crash anymore, with exactly the same hardware. So, I guess it was the software that caued the problem and not the CPU or motherboard. Sorry for even suspecting that.

--
Daniel Yek.
 02/21/2007 01:41 AM

Author Icon
inspector exacto

It could have been a driver conflict between the processor driver and the OS.

-------------------------
<('.'<)OEM metamorphosis: YETI(>'.')>
Athlon 64 3400 Venice 2.4GHz
Arctic Cooling Alpine64 HSF
FIC K8MC51GLF
ASUS ATI Radeon X1600PRO Silent
1GB PC3200 RAM
160GB HDD - 40GB HDD
16x DVD +\- RW DL Light Scribe
Vantec Nexus NXP-301 Fan & Light Controller
RoseWill R6426-P Case
Bestec 300W PSU
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information