Increase font size
Topic Title: Sempron 2800 MSI K8T800 - won't load OS
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/10/2006 05:39 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/10/2006 05:39 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
davis999

I just bought an AMD/MSI bundle at Compusa, a Sempron 2800+ with an MSI K8T800 (K8T-Neo V). Both together in a sealed box. I have 2 GB of memory installed (DDR400/pc3200) and have tried several configs of 2 SATA disks off the SATA port on the MSI, and/or 1 HD off the IDE controller and one CDROM drive. I initially didn't have a floppy installed, but am testing with one now so I could try booting off an old win98 boot floppy. This is a very basic setup. Nothing funky.

The system will turn on, allows me to look at CMOS settings, etc. Fans running and plugged in and the CPU power is plugged in to it's little power hootie on the motherboard.

The system will read a win2K OS setup CD in the CD drive but when it gets to the final "switching to the OS" the system hangs. It also hangs after loading and reading the SATA setup CD. I quit trying to get SATA running and am now just testing with a hard drive on the first IDE port (with it as master, the CD drive as slave). I tried booting with an old win 98 disk and got pretty far with that to so it looks like it loads basic DOS stuff (the SATA setup disk uses DRDOS and that loaded to a menu prompt, so that was working).

But in trying to install Windows 2000 (which is the goal) the system hangs everytime it gets to the transferring part (to when it's all set up and ready to run). Same with an old win98 OS. It loads up, then hangs at the "..now going to run" part.

So what do I need to look at and change? I've read through several of these similar questions in here and see a couple things about power, but if the system would run that far up to that point, I don't see what power as to do with it (after having already read from disks, loaded memory, obviously doing memory read/writes, etc).

What do I check now? I never expected this much hassle with brand new stuff out of the box.
 09/10/2006 06:54 PM

Author Icon
sgie87
Case Modder

have you tried to install windows xp?

also try to do these installations with jsut 512mb or a gig of ram.

try go into your bios settings and make sure everything is looking right in the power managment section.

-------------------------
*IRC chatroom #freedom on irc.globalgamers.net server is a great place to hang out online.PM me for more info.*
 09/10/2006 08:14 PM

Author Icon
davis999

quote:

Originally posted by: sgie87
have you tried to install windows xp?

also try to do these installations with jsut 512mb or a gig of ram.

try go into your bios settings and make sure everything is looking right in the power managment section.

thanks for the fast reply, uh, i don't want windows xp anywhere near this, but i guess i could try it as a "what if" but what's that going to prove it i can't ultimately put win2k on it (which is what I need)? I'll try tho. I'm a sport. Not sure how I could break my 2 Gigs into 512 since they;;re on 2 1GB chips. re: power... everything "looks" fine. the system is sitting there running in "pc health" mode in cmos and it all looks ok to me. Oh - for what it's worth, there was an old copy of windows NT (server) on the HD I used and that didn't get past the initial windows NT blue screen where it's just starting to load the OS.
 09/12/2006 02:50 PM

Author Icon
davis999

Well, the moral of the story is, if you fell something in your gut telling you not to buy it, don't buy it. After a little more sleuthing I detected the AMI CMOS on the MSI was written slightly before the Mesozoic era and after trying to (silly me) flash it up to the correct (according to the MSI web site) version, it's now a flat &^%$#$ POS paperweight. I swore I'd never get another MSI the last time this stupid kind of picciune stuff happened, and now I've hired a little mini-me to follow me around to kick me in the a** the next time I even *think* about getting anything with MSI in the title. It'd be quicker this way then letting MSI do it. (Plus it would have to be more fun!
 09/22/2006 10:55 AM

Author Icon
davis999

Post-Partum - I bought an ABIT NF8-V, moved the AMD over, plugged in and the sucker loaded up with the SATA drives and CD-rom installed faster than goose grease. So - for the AMD, I'm happy with the ABIT motherboard.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information