Increase font size
Topic Title: Bolt Of Electricity:)
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/12/2006 05:53 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/12/2006 05:53 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
dexter

hi about a year ago i was building a sempron 2800+

i was using a gigabite mobo i think
about 256 of pc 2100 ram may have been generic or kingstone

anyway after i built the system i tried to turn in on.. had no luck i took it back and got it tested they said the mobo and cpu where fine then tested the psu and said it was %$#%ED basicly so i bought a 350watt or 400watt psu for about $50 i took it home and tried again i had a bit of trouble starting it after a coule of times it fiered up but the screen was blank .. the fans and leds were on and hdd activity

i cheeked the monitor and cables the monitor came from a nother working computer. i tried both onboard and off board vga grphics cards still no picture i turned it off for a minet and cheeked temps my touch seemed normal slightly warm to touch and so booted the pc again after a bout a minet a bolt of electricty came out about 30cms long shaped like toylet cleaning scrubber. i think it came from near the cpy as it was high off the ground sorter in the middle of the case.

the pc keeped running so i quickly shut it down unpluged everything and sent it to one of my dads friends
and thats the last iv seen of it for a year since july 2005 iv been tring to get it back but hes always buzy

anyway i was just curios as to why a bolt of electricity would shoot out and be that big as the psu only puts out 12volt?

and why the would the psu keep running ? i thort it would be %crewed after a bolt like that?

ty

-------------------------
Current system
amd 3000+ skt 754 sempron OC 7% using asus mobo
Asus k8v-mx
nvidia 128 440 mx goforce 4
dvd buner and cd buner
antec case
350 watt psu "over clockers choise" or so they claim
 06/12/2006 06:12 AM

Author Icon
Xtreeme

Well its 12v when its regulated right!If a regulator IC went out it could be up real high! And dc is nasty. Also if the psu went bad it could have damaged the cpu or mainboard and when you put a new psu in there-well you know what happened. Did they actually run the board and cpu together or just say its ok and send you on your way. I would have wanted to actually see it running (sorry too many shaddy shops these days). If I say somthing is good or bad after testing I show them right there. So they know Im not lying or pulling some BS.
 06/12/2006 06:26 AM

Author Icon
dexter

quote:

Originally posted by: Xtreeme
Well its 12v when its regulated right!If a regulator IC went out it could be up real high! And dc is nasty. Also if the psu went bad it could have damaged the cpu or mainboard and when you put a new psu in there-well you know what happened. Did they actually run the board and cpu together or just say its ok and send you on your way. I would have wanted to actually see it running (sorry too many shaddy shops these days). If I say somthing is good or bad after testing I show them right there. So they know Im not lying or pulling some BS.

thanx for reply

i donno if they tested them together or how they where tested

the guy tookem in to the back of the shop and came back 15 minets later and said he got into the bios and then cheeked the psu and thats when he said it was a psu problem

i got it from game dude (www.gamedude.com.au) they seemed like a good relieable shop with many customers when i got there. wish i could have charged them the trip there its like and hour 1/2 drive

-------------------------
Current system
amd 3000+ skt 754 sempron OC 7% using asus mobo
Asus k8v-mx
nvidia 128 440 mx goforce 4
dvd buner and cd buner
antec case
350 watt psu "over clockers choise" or so they claim
 06/12/2006 08:30 AM

Author Icon
Xtreeme

well with only having his word and not really knowing its kinda hard to say. I dont mean anything against them, Im just saying trust your eyes when it comes to that stuff see it before you believe it. I dont care for back room testing. As I said I have nothing to hide when fixing a pc and I dont mind testing all hardware right there in front of them! This way they kinda know what I did even if they dont understand pc's. And they can plainly see what works and what doesnt.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information