Increase font size
Topic Title: Boot Problems
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/07/2006 02:27 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/07/2006 02:27 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
31st-knight

Have looked through other topics and can not find anything near to my problem so please if anyone has any advice I would be most gratefull as the client I am doing this for his patience is wearing thin...

On attempting to build an AMD system, with just hard drives from a Dell Dimension XPS I get the most annoying system failure on trying to load Windows XP Home, Can not continue disable Virus protection or ensure any new hard drives or hard drive controllers are correctly installed. This will only appear if you disable restart on error, within windows startup, and appears just before it loads Windows XP logo, (more technical side after it has loaded video drivers). Have tried 3 different makes of motherboards and 2 video cards.
Here is list of basic components
• Motherboard - Winfast K7S Socket A
• Memory - 512 mb DDR
• Processor, with heatsink and fan - AMD Sempron 2600+ Socket A
• Video Card - Radeon 9200
• Mouse
• Monitor - Flat screen
• Keyboard
• CD-ROM drive
• Floppy drive with the proper cable
• Hard drive (just one) with proper cable

Using a newly formated hard drive and trying to install XP Pro, I get error message 1 of 2. 1. Can not format drive as drive is dameaged or I might get, too install XP Pro but will then give me... Can not continue disable Virus protection or ensure any new hard drives are correctly installed or hard drive controllers.

Also CD Drive does not always work, resulting in non detection of data on disk.

All drives fully function when put back into the Dell system. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

02/07/2006 03:17 PM

Author Icon
zeppelinrox

disable virus protection in the bios

when you have the drives in the dell box, run "chkdsk /f" on them

-------------------------

Overclocking Help and Links . Why DRM, BluRay and HD-DVD Blow Great tools-> OC Bible v1.52 and Guidemania v1.2
 02/07/2006 08:54 PM

Author Icon
bvchurch

I am thinking your problem is actually centered around the hard drive, cd drive, cd rom, motherboard IDE slots, IDE Cables, or jumpers.

First can you verify the drive to be in pristine condition? can you format it on the dell?
Second, do you have the hard drive plugged into the first IDE channel on the motherboard, and what jumper settings do you have on the hard drive it self, I recommend using Master (not cable select).
Third, have you tried a different cdrom drive, or have you verified the jumper placement on the cd drom drive.
Fourth, do you have another windows cd you could try?
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information