Increase font size
Topic Title: my SEMPRON 2800 thinks its a Athlon XP 2400
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/28/2006 01:30 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/28/2006 01:30 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
pacman-20

Hi everyone, I'm new to all of this and am learning everyday. I cannot figure out why my computer is saying that my processor is an Ahtlon XP. The speed of both processors is the same, but I don't want to burn up my sempron somehow. I just wanted to make sure that nothing will happen or if there would be any benefit if I could get my system to notice the cpu as a sempron. Also on the Acorp website there is a BIOS update for my motherboard, but when I try to update, the program says that the update is not for my Mother Board.

Here's the site for my MOBO update incase that helps, http://www.acorp.com.tw/eng/do...ownl...eid=43&lineid=1

My CPU temperatures are constantly above 50 degrees C, which seems high to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Wade
 03/28/2006 04:48 AM

Author Icon
cowen1000

Yor temps are high! Check your HSF, make sure it's not clogged up with dust.

You will need to do a BIOS update for it to recognise your cpu as a Sempron, it won't make a difference in perfomance or won't have any bad effects on your system if you leave it like it is.

-------------------------
http://www.danasoft.com/sig/hankthomas.jpg
 03/29/2006 12:35 AM

Author Icon
bvchurch

quote:

Originally posted by: pacman-20
Hi everyone, I'm new to all of this and am learning everyday. I cannot figure out why my computer is saying that my processor is an Ahtlon XP. The speed of both processors is the same, but I don't want to burn up my sempron somehow. I just wanted to make sure that nothing will happen or if there would be any benefit if I could get my system to notice the cpu as a sempron. Also on the Acorp website there is a BIOS update for my motherboard, but when I try to update, the program says that the update is not for my Mother Board.

Well technically your Sempron 2800 should run just fine, its just a naming issue at the moment, though a BIOS update will probably help you out in correcting the possible temperature error. Now are you sure you have that Acorp board? Have you contacted their customer service yet?

03/29/2006 12:06 PM

Author Icon
pacman-20

quote:

Originally posted by: bvchurch
Well technically your Sempron 2800 should run just fine, its just a naming issue at the moment, though a BIOS update will probably help you out in correcting the possible temperature error. Now are you sure you have that Acorp board? Have you contacted their customer service yet?

I haven't been able to get ahold of there customer service yet and I'm pretty sure that it is the right board.
My temps are getting higher it seems. yesterday they were up to 61, which is wierd because when I first got the processor a couple weeks ago it was in the 41 range. Also I don't know if my cpu fan has a problem because it never changes speed, it allways sits at a 4400 RPM range no matter what the temp is. Is there a way to change that. About the previous comment, what is a HSF, wait heatsink fan right, it seems that everything is pretty clean inside. Thanks for your help.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information