AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: AMD Sempron 3000+ overclock resulted in UNDERCLOCK...
Topic Summary: Need help getting back to normal, cpu multiplier & VID lowered CPU dropped from 1.8 to 1.0!
Created On: 08/09/2008 07:07 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/09/2008 07:07 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
NUMBER1

Where do I start,
After you have stopped laughing at my attempt to overclock which resulted in an underclock perhaps you could help.

I have an AMD Sempron 3000+ 1.8 with 2x512MB DDR400 RAM (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
Mobo is ECS K8M800-M2

OS is XP MCE2k5 & recent 2nd partition & install of VISTA Ultimate 64Bit

I was playing around with a program called ClockGen_1.0.5.3 & changed a few settings. (been editing a lot of family videos & wanted to speed up the encoding times)

My stock settings were:
CPU...........FSB..........RAM........AGP.......PCI
(1799.80)...(199.98)...(163.62)..(66.66).. (33.33)

I played around & got CPU to 2001.41
(222.38 x 9.0)
I then rebooted machine as I believe these settings weren't permanent & decided to leave as is.

A few hours later curiosity got the better of me & I pushed it to 2100 & then my machine froze, I manually rebooted & windows would not load, kept rebooting at loading bar screen (5-6 times).
I finally booted into VISTA on which told me the partition with XP has CHKDSK problems which it fixed.
I finally then managed to reboot back to XP after successfully getting into VISTA.

I thought all was well until later on when the room was really hot I ran a program called Core Temp 0.95.4 & my core temp was 37C (normal is 30-38C as room heats up).
It was at this point I noticed that this program tells you the Frequency & VID info.
I noticed my VID had dropped from 1.4V to 1.1000V & my frequency now says 999.89 MHz (199.98 x 5.0)

From what I have read this is my CPU multiplier. It was previously x9.0 giving me 1.8GHz. I assume what ever I did before & the resultant system crash has caused this, I have not touched any settings in the BIOS so I assume the program I was using did something it shouldn't have (or I shouldn't have)

Before I do any more damage as a complete noob can anyone tell me what I need to do to go back to normal (& of course never attempt something I know nothing about ever again!)

Any help is appreciated from anyone.

thanks in advance for reading this long post.
 08/09/2008 10:36 PM

Author Icon
geezer_wheelz
Elite

Hi & welcome to the forum
Do you have Cool & Quiet enabled?
If you do then that might explain why it slowed down.
Please check that first

-------------------------
Asus M4A79 Deluxe, Phenom II 940 BE, 20,770 3D06

Asus Moderator ~ My CPU Overheating Guide
 08/10/2008 04:57 AM

Author Icon
NUMBER1

Hi there, thanks for the welcome.
I looked AMD K8 Cool n Quiet option is set to AUTO.
There are 2 options AUTO & DISABLE.

I left my machine switched off over night & when I switched it on this morning & checked, temp is 38C (normally only 30C cause room is cool in the morning) & I am back to 1799.80MHz (199.98 x 9.0) & the VID says 1.4000V

I take it this feature kicked in because it had crashed, did it mean that it was close to overheating or something & this process has kicked in on subsequent boot-ups cause it was too hot to preserve itself?

Anyway, I am back to normal & I think lesson learned, dont mess around with stuff I dont know much about!
The reason I had been looking to do this was the length of time it is taking to encode a load of family video tapes from an old 8mm camcorder, I thought a slight tweak on CPU power could have given me a nominal increase in getting everything done a bit quicker.

Anyway, appreciate your help & I will hang around forums for tips & advice for when I get something more powerful, which is probably a few months away yet, but I might as well pick up tips just now.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information