AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Dual Opteron 2435 build info
Topic Summary: I am building a Dual Opteron 2435 workstation. I have the Processors and the Motherboard is on it's way. Cooling?
Created On: 02/12/2012 04:04 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/12/2012 04:04 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
WrinkledCheese
Lurker

Hello all,

I have the motherboard - SuperMicro H8DAE-2 - on the way, I think it's a 3.5" pitch but I'm not 100% sure, waiting on the manufacturer to get back to me. Socket F specs dictate that it should be 3.5" or 4.1".

From what I gather any 939/940/AM2/AM2+ cooler would be physically compatible. I've been looking around the next for specific matches but that's basically all the information I come across. I looked around for Socket F specific coolers and all I found were expensive coolers $70+.

I looked around and I've settled on Enermax ETS-T40-TB. It comes with a universal backing plate for Intel 775/1155/1156/1366/2011 and AMD AM2/AM2+/AM3/AM3+/FM1. I'm holing this will match up.

Is there anyone out there with the board I have that has a suitable cooling solution that is not specifically designed for the Socket F. I need a low noise solution as it's a dual CPU build and I've been in some pretty noisy server rooms which is why I'm looking for 120mm+ fan cooling solutions. I was hoping to find a cheap Noctura NH-O12U but I've come to realize that there are a lot of things on eBay that are more expensive than retail online shops with free shipping or retail stores locally.

I have a few cases floating around, including one server case which is wider than the rest. Here are the rest of the parts I have/ordered.

8x 1GB DDR2 ECC R2 RAM
2x Opteron 2435 CPU
1x SuperMicro H8DAE-2
 02/22/2012 12:31 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
MU_Engineer
Dr. Mu

Originally posted by: WrinkledCheese

Hello all,

I have the motherboard - SuperMicro H8DAE-2 - on the way, I think it's a 3.5" pitch but I'm not 100% sure, waiting on the manufacturer to get back to me. Socket F specs dictate that it should be 3.5" or 4.1".

From what I gather any 939/940/AM2/AM2+ cooler would be physically compatible. I've been looking around the next for specific matches but that's basically all the information I come across. I looked around for Socket F specific coolers and all I found were expensive coolers $70+.

I looked around and I've settled on Enermax ETS-T40-TB. It comes with a universal backing plate for Intel 775/1155/1156/1366/2011 and AMD AM2/AM2+/AM3/AM3+/FM1. I'm holing this will match up.

Is there anyone out there with the board I have that has a suitable cooling solution that is not specifically designed for the Socket F. I need a low noise solution as it's a dual CPU build and I've been in some pretty noisy server rooms which is why I'm looking for 120mm+ fan cooling solutions. I was hoping to find a cheap Noctura NH-O12U but I've come to realize that there are a lot of things on eBay that are more expensive than retail online shops with free shipping or retail stores locally.

I have a few cases floating around, including one server case which is wider than the rest. Here are the rest of the parts I have/ordered.

8x 1GB DDR2 ECC R2 RAM

2x Opteron 2435 CPU

1x SuperMicro H8DAE-2

The H8DAE-2 is a 3.5" pitch board like AMD desktop boards and will work with AMD desktop heatsinks. Supermicro even puts the heatsink adapter brackets you need for this in the box with the board. (Most Opteron-specific heatsinks bolt down, desktop ones use a bracket and clamp on.) Use any reasonable 92 mm or 120 mm AMD desktop heatsink and you will be fine. Most people with 3.5" pitch Opterons use the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64, a 92 mm tower heatsink, since they have 4U server cases that won't fit 120 mm heatsinks. But any AMD desktop heatsink that can handle 95+ watt CPUs and fits in your case will work.

There were very few Socket F units made with a 4.1" pitch heatsink mounting holes. There were a few early TYAN boards that did, to the best of my knowledge. Pretty much everything out there with a 4.1" pitch is a Socket G34 Opteron 6000 machine. The Noctua U9DO-A3 and U12DO-A3 are the ONLY quiet heatsinks for those units, and they are pricey. I should know, I have a dual Opteron 6128 machine with two moderately noisy but only $30 Dynatron A6s.

One question though- why are you using those particular parts? They are several years old and unless you got them very inexpensively, you can put together a faster Socket C32 Opteron build for quite a bit less money. DDR3 RAM costs less than DDR2 RAM and a current generation Opteron CPU equivalent to the 2435 (Opteron 4180) cost $188 each, new in box. New in box 2435s cost about a grand each the last time I looked.

-------------------------
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information