Increase font size
Topic Title: Proc Serial No. does not match Certificate
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/02/2005 05:17 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/02/2005 05:17 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
steve_tf

Hi,

I just received two new retail box (PIB) Opteron 252 90nm core procs for my new workstation. I ordered OSA252BLBOX, but when I looked a little closer they are OSA252FAA5BL. The boxes are authentic, with the proper seals and the AMD hologram. The box clearly states 3-year warranty.

Concerned that they may not be 90nm cores, I ran the OPN from the proc only to find that the AMD Opteron Processor Quick Reference Guide' ">http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/opteron/Default.aspx says they are a 1-year warranty product. This suggests to me that they are tray product, not PIB?

So I opened one of the boxes and compared the serial number on the Certificate of Authenticity to the processor. They do not match.

Should they match? Is the OSA252FAA5BL a tray product? If so, is AMD packaging tray product as PIB and honouring the 3-year PIB warranty?

Thanks for your help.

Steve

Update: I rechecked the SN's; they DO match. I was looking at the wrong box when I posted. Sorry about that.
 12/02/2005 05:51 PM

Author Icon
TheReturnOfAZ

strange... that is an OEM serial. OSA252FAA5BL is written ON the processor?
if so, and either way, id call AMD.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above exactly represent those of the Intel Corporation and all of its affiliates.
Official Intel™ Propaganda Spreader
"Bringing you the benchmarks that everyone knows are fake" ~ SINCE 2006 ~<!--
 12/02/2005 05:58 PM

Author Icon
bp1019

Where did you get them from? Sounds like they may have boxed some OEM chips. Definatly contact AMD about it like AZ said. It could all just be a mistake made during packaging.

-------------------------

-Proud owner of a DFI because chicks dig "Big" OCs
Repsgaminglounge
 12/02/2005 06:47 PM

Author Icon
steve_tf

I called AMD - the tech said the OSA252FAA5BL = OSA252BLBOX if packaged PIB (in a sealed box with warranty) .

The serial numbers DO match - my mistake (I picked up the wrong box when comparing them - sorry guys).

So there never really was a problem.

Cheers from Vancouver,

Steve
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information