Increase font size
Topic Title: AMD Dual-Core CPU vs Two Single Core AMD CPUs
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/29/2005 05:22 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/29/2005 05:22 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
pjtodd

Is anyone aware of a Memory-Bandwidth Test between a single AMD Dual-Core CPU vs Two Single-Core CPU's running at the same clock speed?
 11/29/2005 08:40 PM

Author Icon
Bitey
Elite

Seen quite a few.

but to summarise

The dual cpu is nearly twice that of the dual core minus a bit for the overhead of using registered memory and higher latencies.

This "doubling" will only occur if the benchmark uses at least 2 threads, eg both CPU's get used.

You also need a NUMA capable board to ensure that each CPU uses its local memory in preference to the other CPU's memory.

If you search around the opteron forums you will see a few benchmarks, but if you want I can run some on my dual CPU system and hopefully someone can run some comparable ones on a dual core system.

PS if you install sisoft sandra you will have a bunch of stock benchmarks from standard systems that you look at.
 11/30/2005 09:09 AM

Author Icon
pjtodd

Thank you.

QUOTE(Bitey @ Nov 29 2005, 08:40 PM)Seen quite a few.

but to summarise

The dual cpu is nearly twice that of the dual core minus a bit for the overhead of using registered memory and higher latencies.

This "doubling" will only occur if the benchmark uses at least 2 threads, eg both CPU's get used.

You also need a NUMA capable board to ensure that each CPU uses its local memory in preference to the other CPU's memory.

If you search around the opteron forums you will see a few benchmarks, but if you want I can run some on my dual CPU system and hopefully someone can run some comparable ones on a dual core system.

PS if you install sisoft sandra you will have a bunch of stock benchmarks from standard systems that you look at.
[right][snapback]556638[/snapback][/right]

11/30/2005 01:01 PM

Author Icon
mckennma

You want E4 or E6 Stepping on the new CPU for best memory support. I upgrade from dual 240 CG stepping to dual 265 E6 stepping. I also turned on NUMA support.

(Sandra Pro 2005)
Dual 240s
11.000 MIPS
without NUMA: 3.4 GHz memory bandwidth
with NUMA: 5.8 GHz memory bandwidth

Dual 265s
35,800 MIPS
with NUMA: 8.5 GHz memory bandwidth

-------------------------
Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
8GB NUMA enabled DDR333 2.5-3-3-7 RAM
PCI-X SCSI RAID
http://69.14.190.80
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information