Increase font size
Topic Title: Linux and Dual Cores
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/15/2005 09:54 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/15/2005 09:54 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
icantsee

My office just got a dual Opteron server in which each Opteron is dual core.

Unfortunately, it has fallen to me to learn Linux and how to install it.

I've learned that any kernal that has something called "SMP" will show each core as a separate CPU.

But which kernals are optimized for dual core processors?

In particular, we were thinking of getting Fedora Core 4. Does anyone know if it's kernal is optimized for dual core chips?
 09/16/2005 03:30 AM

Author Icon
Bitey
Elite

Virtualy all distros have SMP capabilites from the get up and go.

I know suse, mandriva and redhat all have premade SMP kernels which get installed automatically when it detects multiple CPU's during the linux linux, and probably all the other distros do the same.

But anyways, even if your distro does not have an SMP kernel out of the box, you can install the kernel pacakages and compile you own with SMP and other optimsiations specific to your system. eg you have 4 cores/cpus not just 2

A big gotcha might be that you distro's kernel does not know about dual cores(as opposed to 2 CPU's), in that case you will have to look up some tweaks/patches to get working.

*HOWEVER* AMD has posted a dual core linux cpu driver on their site which may do the job for you.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Proce...chni...1_13118,00.html' ">http://www.amd.com/us-en/Proce..._182_871_13118,00.html

good luck, and be patient

PS their is another thread in the troubleshooting section where someone is trying to sort out some dual core problems for suse linux.
 09/16/2005 11:55 PM

Author Icon
Megadeth

Um, you can't just say which Kernel. I'm a Linux guru so e-mail me at baigsabeeh@gmail.com with any questions you have. Going back to the kernel question, essentially think of it as the core of your operating system. Not all kernels have SMP enabled and you need to enable it in the configuration before you compile a custom kernel. So, just download the newest kernel sources and build a custom kernel with the smp option. There is a guide somewhere on building a custom kerenel.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information