Increase font size
Topic Title: 2xx and 8xx-Series Opteron Support
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/23/2005 11:44 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/23/2005 11:44 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
tomhartzell

We are currently testing software internally on machines with four (4) 846 Opterons installed, as well as machines with two (2) 846 Opterons installed. (The thought being to update them if needed to a total of four processors by adding the daughter card available.) Linux is the OS being used. One of my charters is to ensure a small spares package is available for immediate use if ever needed.

For planning purposes, as well as sparing for replacement if ever needed:
1. What do I need to be sensitive to or consider if I had to replace one of the four 846 Opterons in any given machine? (i.e. Voltage; Speed; Rev Level; etc.) I assume these considerations would be the same for the machines using only two 846's, but if they aren't, please explain why.
2. How would this change if we had a machine with four dual-core Opterons?? (i.e. 87x-series for discussion purposes.)
3. If I wanted to add a third and fourth Opteron to a machine that currently has only two 846's installed, what considerations or requirements would there be if I simply wanted to purchase two more 846's to put into the box? How would this change when dealing with dual-core processors?

Any insight as to the considerations, as well as initial thoughts on the contents of my spares kit, would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information