AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: MSI K8N Master2-FAR VS Tyan K8WE (S2895)
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/24/2005 08:26 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/24/2005 08:26 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Yue_Hong
Overclocker

I just knew that MSI has a dual cpu motherboard with 2 pci-express x16 feature. That is MSI K8N Master2-FAR. It's price is much cheaper compare to Tyan K8WE (S2895). But if compare this two motherboard on it's technology and features, which one is better? Which one would you choose?

-------------------------
"If you look at the last five years, if you look at what major innovations have occurred in computing technology, every single one of them came from AMD. Not a single innovation came from Intel." -- AMD CEO Hector Ruiz in 2007
 09/26/2005 12:02 AM

Author Icon
Bitey
Elite

The main difference I can see is that the k8we has 4 dimms per CPU. Allowing each cpu to have its own memory. The msi board has 6 dimms for CPU 1 only, that means CPU 2 has to share the memory bandwidth with CPU 1.

The max memory for the MSI board is 12 GBs, the tyan is 16GBs or 32 GBs at ddr266 speeds.

09/26/2005 12:24 AM

Author Icon
Calvn_Swing

Take a look at the two pictures...

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/server/MS-9620.jpg' ">http://www.msicomputer.com/product/server/MS-9620.jpg

http://www.tyan.com/html/logos_images.html' ">http://www.tyan.com/html/logos_images.html
Thunder K8WE (S2895)

You'll notice that the Tyan board has three chipsets. One is the PCI-x tunnel, which doesn't really matter that much.

The other two are the 2200 and 2050 nForce MCP chips. These allow both PCI-E x16 slots to actually run at x16. Also, they are professional chipset products and are designed for stability.

You'll also see that the Tyan has two banks of DIMMs. This means that each card has it's own memory bank, and can therefore use NUMA. (non-uniform memory architecture) This will mean faster memory performance in applications as the processors will store data in the memory banks they can access the fastest - the ones they are directly attached to - instead of loading it anywhere and having to go through the other processor to access it's memory.

On the other hand, the Tyan does not have PCI-e expansion slots beyond the two x16 slots. So, next gen PCI-e soundcards, etc... won't have a place to go.

The MSI has two "x16" slots. In other words, either one is operating at x16 or both are operating at x8. Also, it seems to have only one bank of memory, so NUMA is out, and the second processor (or third and fourth if you go dual core) will have slower memory access since it has to request access through the first processor. It also uses the professional chipset, but doesn't buddy them up. It just uses the 2200 hence the 16/8 switch. But, it does have a single lane PCI-e expansion slot.

So...

They are both great boards. The deciding factor is how you'll use them. The TYAN would be my choice because I do workstation stuff - rendering and animations. So, graphics performance and stability are crucial. I don't even own a sound card, and the last expansion card I bought was an ethernet card for my micron pentium 3 piece of junk.

If you're going to be using the system for personal use, gaming, fun, seti@home, etc... then you are going to be quite happy with the msi most likely. The memory performance will be fine, the processor performance will be stellar (though not quite FX levels), and the graphics performance will be equivalent to anything available in the Athlon64/FX lines. If you're into professional work or meddle with really big files and multitask like a crazy person, then the Tyan is worth the money. However, I'd say that maybe 1% of non-professional consumers would actually strain either board enough in their daily usage to notice the difference.

So, there you have it. Never a straight answer.

-------------------------
Iwill Zmax DP SFF Barebones kit... (300W PSU, 8 USB, 1 FW, etc...)
Dual AMD Opteron 275's | 2 Gigs (2 Dimms 1024Mb) Patriot RAM 3-3-3-8
WD Caviar 80 Gig HDD - System
WD Raptor 74 Gig HDD
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256
NEC ND-3520A Dual Layer DVD±RW | Mitsumi Floppy/Card Reader combo
 09/26/2005 05:10 AM

Author Icon
Opteron

QUOTE(Yue_Hong @ Sep 24 2005, 04:26 AM)I just knew that MSI has a dual cpu motherboard with 2 pci-express x16 feature. That is MSI K8N Master2-FAR. It's price is much cheaper compare to Tyan K8WE (S2895). But if compare this two motherboard on it's technology and features, which one is better? Which one would you choose?
[right][snapback]508595[/snapback][/right]

Hi,

as you consider the msi board, which has no PCI-X slots, I guess PCI-X does not matter in your case.
Therefore have a look at that supermicro board:

http://www.supermicro.com/Aplu...boar...Force/H8DCE.cfm' ">http://www.supermicro.com/Aplu...teron/nForce/H8DCE.cfm

Nearly as much features as the 2895 (besides PCI-X), but more PCIe slots and more Sata connectors.
Because of the missing PCI-X it is cheaper than the Tyan, too, though not as cheap as the msi.

It has to be noted however, that Supermicro is not officialy supporting the mainboard, so that may be a problem.

byebye

Opteron
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information