Increase font size
Topic Title: 852's for a dual setup
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/11/2005 06:57 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/11/2005 06:57 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
harrysinghk

I have got 2 852's and am getting a k8n-dl asus board will they work on that board , also i understand these are e4 stepping will that be an issue or will it be ok and do you suppose a bios upgrade may be needed or not. Thanks to all those that may be able to help me on this.
 07/11/2005 01:38 PM

Author Icon
Megadeth

The two Opteron 852s will not work in the ASUS K8N-DL because it is a 2-way board. The 8xx series only work in 4-way and 8-way board. On those boards, they can run in dual, quad, 8, and 16 way dual core configs. So, you will need a quad socket or higher motherboard.

As for the E4 stepping, it shouldn't be that big of an issue. At most you will need a BIOS update and that is nothing to sweat over.

I would recommend getting a quad socket motherboard right now. I'm assuming you bought those 852s so then I'm assuming right that you can definitely afford a 4-way motherboard if you can afford even a single 852.

Hope this helps and don't mind the third paragraph, but I'm very straightforward.

Megadeth
 07/12/2005 04:13 AM

Author Icon
harrysinghk

I was made to understand that the 852's would also run in a dual board just that they have been certified to also run as 4 or 8 way, but you say that they will only run as 4 way or more, is that totally correct or is it true that they will also run in a dual board.
 07/16/2005 02:10 PM

Author Icon
flatus[TDM]

QUOTE(harrysinghk @ Jul 12 2005, 03:13 AM)I was made to understand that the 852's would also run in a dual board just that they have been certified to also run as 4 or 8 way, but you say that they will only run as 4 way or more, is that totally correct or is it true that they will also run in a dual board.
[right][snapback]457287[/snapback][/right]

They will run in a dual board.

-------------------------
too many to list
 07/16/2005 06:29 PM

Author Icon
Opteron

Why the heck should they not work in the board ?? /blink.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='blink.gif' />
The only difference is, that all 3 Htr Interfaces *can* run in coherent mode, which is necessary for us in 4P/8P systems. But they need not ...
Opteron 2xy has 1 coherent link, which is sufficient for it, the other two links are only "normal" HTr ones.

Similar question would be: If you want to store 5l water, but you have "only" a 10l bucket, would you buy a 5l bucket, because the 10l does not fit ? /wink.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='wink.gif' />

E4 is very good, it is the newest revision, 90nm, less power consumption. The only thing what can happen, is that your Mainboard BIOS is too old to recognize the E4 revision, then it may even not boot at all. But the board itself is also very modern, so I hope it would run. If not you need either an older Opteron CPU (one should be enough) to be able to boot and to flash the BIOS, or you may ask Asus to send you a new BIOS chip, with the current BIOS version on it.

If I understand it correctly, the components are already on the way to you, so just try, you can not damage much (if you know how to assemble a computer ... /biggrin.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='biggrin.gif' /> )

byebye and good luck

Opteron
 07/17/2005 02:43 AM

Author Icon
harrysinghk

I understand that was crystal clear thanks a ton.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information