Increase font size
Topic Title: Suggestions for New Opteron System
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/30/2005 07:27 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/30/2005 07:27 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
colorofromance

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forums and going nuts here with all many questions. It is this or that everywhere on the net. I've decided to give this forum a try. I hope you guys can help me.

I'm planning on getting a Tyan K8WE as the motherboard and I'll add the rest according to you suggestions.

1) Can all Opteron 800 series processors work in dual or single processor mode on a dual board such as Tyan K8WE?

2) I have a Adaptec U320 PCI-X low profile controller for my SCSI drives, do you think it'd make any difference to sue the onboard SCSI controller on this board or using mine? I'm in between whether to purchase the one with the controller or not? Do you think the onboard LSI controller would be better or worse than the Adaptec controller?

3) I'm currently using a Athlon FX-53 system. I'm in software business and I heavily use my computer and usually multi-task among many software applications. Occasionally like paying games as well. I've two e-VGA 6800 GT graphic adapters running in SLI mode while playing games. How much performance boost do you think I can get from a dual-core Opteron 265 setup?

4) Can I use an Opteron 242 and 842 in the same system? They both are working at the same speed, is it supported?

5) What memory modules do you suggest for the K8WE? I'm looking for best performance obviously but don't want to invest as much as I paid for my FX-53 system. I remember paying over $600 CDN to make them work with the FX-53. It is a picky processor I'm hoping to get either 1 GB or 2 per CPU. If you can give me model numbers I appreciate it. I've seen a list of compatible memories on Tyan web site but it doesn't say which one performs better. Besides, there are many modules which are not listed there. What do you guys use? Does DDR400 make too big of a difference from DDR333?

6) As I've mentioned earlier, I've two e-VGA 6800 GT graphic adapters. One of the forum messages, it was mentioned that if I don't have the second CPU, I can't use the second PCI-Express slot? It didn't sounds right but wanted to confirm before hand. Is it true?

7) I've the Enermax 701 NoiseTaker power supply which provides 600W. I have 4 Seagate Cheetah 18 GB 15.3K, 1 WD 250GB SATA, 1 DVD-RW, 1 CD-RW (will be replaced with another DVD-RW), 2 6800 GT in SLI mode and many USB devices and fans/lights hooked up to my system. I'm sure the power supply is at the maximum output or close to it. Do you think a dual-core dual-Opteron system can consume more power than this system can handle? I don't even know if there are more powerful power supplier in the market?

I know there many questions out there but if you can answer one or two, it'll help me a lot.

Here is my current system setup if it helps to answer the questions above;

AMD Athlon FX-53
Asus A8N-SLI PREMIUM
2x e-VGA G-Force 6800 GT in SLI
1GB Corsair TWINX1024-4000PRO (2x512MB)
4x Seagate Cheetah U320 SCSI 15K.3 18GB (ST318453LW) drives running in two individual Raid0 combinations
WD 250GB SATA drive
Creative Audigy 2 ZS
Pioneer 16X DVD-RW
LG 32x CD-RW
Enermax 701 NoiseTaker 600W PS.
Adaptec 29320 PCI-X U320 LP SCSI controller

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Mert
 10/30/2005 10:44 PM

Author Icon
Flintstone

1)Don't spend on an 8xx series processor even though it's supposed to work in a dual system. It'd be a waste of money.

2)I personally HATE Adaptec SCSI controllers. Take the money you save by buying 2xx series processors and get a PCI-X LSI Raid card on eBay.

3)Most games will realize no performance gain from a dual processor or dual core/dual processor system as they are not writen for multithreading. However, you'll be able to multitask while playing the game.

4)Never mix processors on the same system board.

5)See my sig

6)On the K8WE, one PCIe X16 slot is controlled by one nVidia chipset and the other is controlled by another. For both nVidia chipsets to operative they must both have processors in the sockets. Yes, it's true.

7)If you are going to spend the money on this system I believe that the power supplies from PC Power & Cooling are what you should get. However, add up your wattages including the requirements to spin up your SCSI drives and see what you need. Then look at Tyan's reccommended power supplies and pick one.

Hope this helps.

Flint

-------------------------
2 X 250 "E" Opterons, S2895 A2NRF (K8WE) beta bios 1.01T
4 X(2x 512MB Matched) Corsair 3200 Reg ECC(TWINX1024RE-3200LLPT)
nVidia 6800GT, LSI 320-2X U320 Raid (512MB ram Onboard!!)
7 X 15,000 RPM U320 Drives, XP Pro SP2
PC Power & Cooling 850 SSI
IT WORKS!!! AND IT'S TYAN'S TECH SUPPORT THAT DID IT!!!!
 10/30/2005 11:18 PM

Author Icon
colorofromance

Thank you so much. That reply helped a lot. Especially for RAM and PS issues.

Just a quick question though, if you had to, would you use the adaptec controller I have on one of the PCI-X slots or use the LSI controller on board the K8WE and sell the controller card? /smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' /> Is there any difference? Can't I have teh same 2 RAID0s with the on board controller? I assume there might be a performance differnce with using the on board one as my controller has one channle which all 4 drives share. With the on baord one, I can use each raid 0 at individual channels. What do you think?

As per the PS, I'll give it a try with my PS once i put all the system together, if it works fine, if not, your suggestion seems like the best for sure.

As per setting up this system, is there anything I must be concerned about? Anything in particular? I usualluse one of my RAID0 as my system drive and the second set of RAID0 as the temporary drive for the batch processes, etc. And the SATA drive as the back-up. i'll setup Windows XP SP2 on this system. So any suggestions are appreciated /wink.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='wink.gif' />

Thanks so much again.

Cheers,
Mert
 10/31/2005 12:26 PM

Author Icon
Flintstone

Not having a board with onboard SCSI, I am not sure if it has RAID functionality or not or if so, if it needs some kind of daughter card for the raid functions to work. I have done a little looking around on Tyan's website and could find nothing referencing the onboard LSI conrtoller's abilities or lack thereof. therefor, I cannot advise on this subject except to reiterate my dislike of Adaptec products in general, however subjective that may be.

In terms of set up, I wouldn't put my OS on a Raid0 array, it hardly seems worth it. Just get an 18 gig newer, fast U320 drive (STRof >70)for the OS and Raid the data drives. BUT, have some backup plan for the data.

Remember, it's all just an opinion!

Flint

-------------------------
2 X 250 "E" Opterons, S2895 A2NRF (K8WE) beta bios 1.01T
4 X(2x 512MB Matched) Corsair 3200 Reg ECC(TWINX1024RE-3200LLPT)
nVidia 6800GT, LSI 320-2X U320 Raid (512MB ram Onboard!!)
7 X 15,000 RPM U320 Drives, XP Pro SP2
PC Power & Cooling 850 SSI
IT WORKS!!! AND IT'S TYAN'S TECH SUPPORT THAT DID IT!!!!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information