Increase font size
Topic Title: Opteron 840 1.4GHz
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/31/2005 11:01 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/31/2005 11:01 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
phatdumi

Hi all
Need some help and guidance from all ye knowlegeble masters of this here trade.
I have in my possesion an 840 1.4GHz, which I plan to use as a basis of my upgrade.

Now reading all these threads has gotten me into a heavy dose of panic as no one seems to be mentioning the 840. I have been doing some searching to find a motherboard (ATX is what I have in mind) but they all seem to support the 100 and 200 series. My aim is to build a workstation for digital audio processing running Reason 3.0, Cubase SX 2 and a host of power hungry VST's.

Here are my questions

1. Can the current opteron mobos support this one?

2. Is it worht it or am I best flogging it and going for an Athlon 64(got it for cheaps tho)

3. To simplify my question, If you had this processor how would you set up your system taking into consideration the intended purpose that of Digital audio processing.

4. Can anyone help me understand all this dual processor "french" /biggrin.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='biggrin.gif' /> , all I know is a Mobo can take two processors, but whats the point, why not make a processor that can run as powerfull as two of them. /wacko.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='wacko.gif' />

The Details of the Processor

AMD Opteron™ Processor Details
CPU ID AMD Opteron™ Processor Model 840
Model 840
Ordering Parts Number (OPN) OSA840CCO5AI
Stepping B3
Frequency 1.4GHz
HyperTransport™ Technology Speed 800MHz
Integrated Memory Controller 1.4GHz
Core Voltage 1.55 V
Case Temperature 69° C
Wattage 84.7W
L2 Cache Size 1 MB
L2 Cache Speed 1.4GHz
Manf. Technology .13 micron SOI
Socket Socket 940
Amperage 52 A

Your Help will go a very long way.
 06/01/2005 03:08 AM

Author Icon
arcangel

There is always a limitation on how fast a cpu can be made. thts why dual and multi cpu systems are made. not only does dual cpu increases the processing power but memory bandwidth as well. me myself an sound engineer using dual 246 coz softwares like sonar cubase and nuendo supports multi processor(for example in sonar it uses the first processor for track counts and running the sonar itself and the second one for plugins processing). so two is always better than one.
about your 840 il recommend you to sell it and get two 242 or 244 coz 840 is used for multi processor setup and its expensive than 2** series. then get a gud mobo like tyan K8WE and u will be rocking. i can run upto 140 tracks with 3 plugins each and its rock solid.
the next alternate is getting a dual core athlon but it might cost a bit high now..... hope this is helpful...
correct me if im wrong somewhere

-------------------------
Dual opteron 246
Tyan Thunder K8WE SCSI
Corsair, Seagate, Antec, Samsung, Sparkle.
 06/01/2005 10:17 PM

Author Icon
phatdumi

Cheers mate that has really helped. So its back to the drawing board for me. I just hope I can raise enough from 840 sell and use it to buy at least one 244.

Thanks a lot for your reply. /biggrin.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='biggrin.gif' />
 06/02/2005 06:24 AM

Author Icon
arcangel

look at the Pricing' ">http://www.amd.com/us-en/Proce...9,00.html?redir=CPT301 of opterons. you can buy atleast two 244.... dont sell ur 840 cheaply coz its not cheap...lol

-------------------------
Dual opteron 246
Tyan Thunder K8WE SCSI
Corsair, Seagate, Antec, Samsung, Sparkle.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information