Increase font size
Topic Title: Help Me Understand HyperTransport
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/06/2005 02:19 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/06/2005 02:19 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
2kmaro

I need just a little education here, please. I'm confused about HyperTransport in general.

I just built an Opteron 150 system on an Asus SK8N board. It has 1GB registered ECC PC3200 DDR in it and I've installed Windows XP Pro/SP2 as the OS.

Now, how can I tell if HyperTransport is functioning? Is there something I need to do to 'activate' it or does it just happen?

The SK8N board's BIOS has 3 settings relating to HyperTransport:

HT Tristate Enable (default Disabled) - "This item enables or disables the HyperTransport Tristate that enables the link tristate during the disconnected state of an LDTSTOP"

CRC Flood Enable (default Disabled) - "This item enables or disables the CRC Flood that enable the generation of synchronized packets on CRC Error."

LDT to MCP2 Frequency [600 MHz] - has 3 options: 200/400/600 MHz. "This item enables or disables the LCT to MCP2 frequency." (they call it LDT in title, LCT in text - I don't know what either means )

Also, any special requirement for ECC usage with regard to HyperTransport? Seems the board defaults to not even using ECC even though I apparently had to buy it.

Finally - anything special I need to do in Windows XP to utilize HyperTransport?

Any help in making me smarter about all of this is very much appreciated.
 01/06/2005 03:45 PM

Author Icon
ZapWizard

Read here: http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=30518' ">http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=30518

Hypertransport is the connection between the CPU and motherboard, it always is functioning.

You do not need to enable Tristate
CRC Flood should also be disabled, it enhanced stability, but it not worth the speed cost.
LDT should be at 600Mhz
ECC is seperate from "Registered"
You don't need it unless you want total 100% (Like one error in a year) stability.
There is no adjustements need to windows for hypertransport.

-------------------------
' ">http://www.ZapWizard.com
The opinions expressed above do not represent the views of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 01/06/2005 06:15 PM

Author Icon
2kmaro

Thank you very much ... clears up my head.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information