Increase font size
Topic Title: What's your for?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/31/2003 05:30 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/31/2003 05:30 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
jes

Just out of interest, what are people using their Opteron systems for? Just general servers or for a specific task?

I'm currently using my system (dual 244's, 2Gb memory, 2x 120Gb SATA drives) as a general server (www, db, email etc), but got the opportunity to help someone in the scientific field who wanted a fast server to run a molecular modelling system on. The program (from my understanding) basically performed calculations on increasing numbers of atoms in a given material, the first run was calculating around 3 quadrillion atoms (i.e. a lot!.

The program had already been started on a dual 2.8Ghz Xeon machine a couple of days earlier, however when I offered the services of my Opteron box the scientist was interested in having two sets of results, so the race was on.....

To cut a long story short, despite starting 2 days later than the 2.8Ghz Xeon box, my dual 1.8Ghz machine finished a *week* earlier. The results were exactly inline with those of the Xeon box when they eventually came in.

We repeated the experiment with a far larger run (around 15 quadrillion atoms) and the run still finished about 3-4 weeks earlier than anticipated...

In the words of the scientist...."No more 'Intel Inside'"

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
http://www.shellprompt.net
Unix & Oracle Web Hosting Provider powered by AMD Opterons
 11/01/2003 08:15 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
awd4dad

yes, AMD is gaining momentum with facts not marketing power.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information