Increase font size
Topic Title: dual system useful ?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/19/2004 11:05 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/19/2004 11:05 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
beginner

Would a dual system speed the PC for normal applications ?
What is for example with some Games ?
How much would be the increase in percent ?
 05/19/2004 05:01 PM

Author Icon
jes

For that you'd really need to define "normal" (since your definition of normal is probably different to mine).

You will only see large performance increases in applications on a dual machine where those applications are SMP aware. You may see a small performance benefit for non-SMP aware apps, purely from the fact that your machine will be less "loaded" than if it only had one processor.

Games are simply applications (although a specific kind), if you they're not specifically written to be SMP aware then you'll see little boost from having a dual (or more) machine.

For an SMP aware program the boost from a second CPU can be anywhere from worse than on a single CPU (if the algorithms don't really suit being SMP and you incur an overhead) to well over 100% (yes...over 100%...it is possible, depending on the algorithms used within your program).

Sorry for the vague answers, but there's no "magic formula" for knowing how well "general applications" will scale or not. If however you have some specific applications, then you should be able to find out whether they're SMP aware or not.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
http://www.shellprompt.net
Unix & Oracle Web Hosting Provider powered by AMD Opterons
 05/25/2004 06:21 AM

Author Icon
donmuerte

QUOTE (beginner @ May 19 2004, 07:05 AM) Would a dual system speed the PC for normal applications ?
What is for example with some Games ?
How much would be the increase in percent ?
A great forum I bumped into in my search for dual-CPU information is www.2cpu.com . The forums are very helpful and the users of the board are the friendliest I have ever had the good fortune of meeting. Post your questions there and you're bound to get some friendly responses in an hour or two.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information