Increase font size
Topic Title: Opteron 248 hyper trasport
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/13/2006 04:26 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/13/2006 04:26 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
salwanhh

Hi all,
I have got HP workstation with single CPU opteron 248 and i thougt it will be hyper transport or hyper threading because i used 3d studio max 7 so its better for me to split the tasks into 2 tasks same as intel processor 3.2 HT wich i was using earlier, so is the opteron 248 is showing one task only or i there is some wrong with my system?
 09/13/2006 06:04 AM

Author Icon
Greyhound

Many people tend to confuse Hypertransport with Hyperthreading .... unfortunately, both technologies share the same acronym 'HT' (or 'HTT', even though they're two completely different things:

Hypertransport is a fast, packet-based point-to-point interconnect which connects the CPU to the rest of the system - basically, it replaces the 'classical' FSB on a K8-platform (Athlon 64/Athlon 64 FX/Opteron).
The Opteron 200/2000 and 800/8000 series can use their additional Hypertransport-links for communication between multiple CPUs.
Go here for more info about Hypertransport

Hyperthreading enables a single CPU to act as two 'virtual'(or 'logical' CPUs.
It will only offer improved performance if your applications are specifically optimized for Hyperthreading, otherwise there will be little to no benefits - in some cases, you'll actually get slightly less performance when running non-optimized applications.
More info here

All AMD 8th-Generation processors (Athlon 64/Athlon 64 FX/Athlon 64 X2/Opteron/754-pin Sempron) use a Hypertransport-link for communication between the processor and chipset.

Current AMD Processors do NOT support Hyperthreading (newer intel processors don't support it anymore either for that matter).
With the introduction of true dual-core parts (e.g. Opteron 265 and higher), Hyperthreading has pretty much become obsolete.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
 09/13/2006 10:59 AM

Author Icon
zeppelinrox

quote:

Originally posted by: Greyhound
Many people tend to confuse Hypertransport with Hyperthreading .... unfortunately, both

that was intentional wasn't it.
IIRC hypertransport used to be called Lightening Data Transport(?) but intel spent millions advertising hyperthreading... so AMD just renamed LDT to hypertransport and got free advertising out of it...
because of the easily confused terms.. both had HT... "hyper-something"

-------------------------

Overclocking Help and Links . Why DRM, BluRay and HD-DVD Blow Great tools-> OC Bible v1.52 and Guidemania v1.2
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information