Increase font size
Topic Title: CG for GA-K8NXXP-940?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/13/2006 09:19 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/13/2006 09:19 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
SmilinJim

I am looking for a single-core, single-chip, very simple and inexpensive platform on which to build a desktop workstation server for home office and training on which to implement Microsoft Windows Server 2003.

I was looking at the new 939 motherboards and like the new ASUS K8N-SL, but the setup is a bit pricey and thought I might look for something a little older.

AMD's site helped me first identify the Gigabyte GA-K8NXXP-940 motherboard as recommended for the 100-series socket-940. I did not see at first that it said it was only good for C0 stepping. I am finding it to be first off very difficult to find ANY of these particular boards, but also any of the other boards recommended for the 144-148 chips, but in particular any of the C0-stepped chips, as it looks like the CG CPU's seem much more available. I would like to use the HE low-power variety if I found one.

If the Board can take the 146, socket 940 Opteron chip, how is it that it cannot take both the C0 and the CG stepping? What would happen if I were to use a CG chip if that is all that I was able to find? Thanks
 06/13/2006 10:49 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Bitey
Elite

All newer 1XX opterons use socket 939 boards, which allows you to use normal cheaper ddr ram.

If you want to stick with a socket 940 board which allows you to go to 16G and reequired registered ram, then your upgrade choice is a bit odd, as you have to find the old CX stepping opterons with a max speed of 150(2.4G) OR you use a 2xx opteron which max out at 256(3.0G).
While 2xx cpu's in theory should be compatible with single socket 940 opterons, there is no garrantee unless the board manufacturer has actuall botherd to test it.

PS old socket 940 not the new socket 940 AKA AM2
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information