AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: AMD limiting retail sale of Opterons?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/13/2006 03:55 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/13/2006 03:55 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
SmilinJim

As noted in earlier post, I am trying to purchase a single motherboard and opteron CPU.

I observed that for their own, different, reasons, some in the overclocking community have been enthusiastic about the release of 939 opterons, about which it was reported AMD was less than ecstatic, and that there may be an overall lack of supply to meet demand.

I saw, with dismay, the following posted on an internet forum and wonder if anyone can comment on its accuracy. Yes, I know one cannot believe all one reads, but hope in this case that this report overstates things and that as a prospective owner of a workstation board that it will not be difficult to obtain an individual Opteron:...

"Word has been floating around the net that AMD has begun to take steps to restrict the availability of Opterons to owners of non-workstation boards, i.e. the overclocking community at large. These rumors have recently been confirmed by the manager of AMD's Opteron Division. At the present time, it is AMD's intention to no longer supply Opterons through regular retail channels once the current supply is exhausted (though this is subject to change in the future). Thus, in the near future it will likely be the case that the only Opterons available to enthusiasts will be the handful that leak through the Gray Market. I therefore recommend that if you are considering purchasing an Opteron, you do so without delay – you may not have the opportunity to do so in the future!"

Thanks.
 06/13/2006 07:39 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Xtreeme

Well nothing new. Its the usuall they dont like oclockers fud. If they sell cpu's like mad they dont care why just so they GO fast. I cant see them intentionally limiting sales in any way or form. Im sure i fyou look retail youll find them no prob. Try newegg.

939 opterons
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...ist....SubCategory=343
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information