Increase font size
Topic Title: # of CPU's supported by OS
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/17/2006 10:06 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/17/2006 10:06 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
EJS

I can't seem to find this info anywhere (AMD.com, Microsoft.com, Google.com). I know that OS'es like WinXP (Pro x32) can support 2 CPU's and that WinXP (Pro x32) treats a single Dual Core CPU as 2 CPU's in terms of operation, but as a single CPU in terms of licensing. What I don't know is if WinXP Pro x32 (for example) supports pair of Dual Core CPU's. In theory, the OS will see 2 die's and will be happy as far as licencing goes, but will it see and use all 4 cores? In an effort to help others on this topic, lets see if we can fill this out:

OS:, Max # of CPU's, Max # of Dual Core CPU's, Total resulting cores (useable by OS), Licensing issues?
Example OS: 2, 2, 4, Legally Licenced

WinXP Home x32:
WinMCE 05 x32:
WinXP Pro x32
WinXP Pro x64
WinV x32
WinV x64
etc...

Feel free to add OS'es that you come across. I'd add linux OS'es, but I'm not familar with them.
 02/18/2006 03:45 AM

Author Icon
zir_blazer
Code Warrior

If I remember correctly, Windows 2000/XP/2003 Kernel seems to be able to support 32 Cores (If you got a Dual Core Processor right now, check the Affinity tab). However, Windows XP doesn't got a direct Server version that actually got the license to allow you to use them. That means that you must use Windows 2000 or 2003 Server versions if you want a heavy Server.
Windows XP Home Edition license supports a single Socket (You can even use the P4EE 3.2 GHz Smithfield with Hyper Threading and have four Logical Cores with it) and Windows XP Professional license supports two Socket. Windows XP (64 Bits) is based on the Professional version features so it should support too two Sockets, but I am not sure about that neither the rest, because there are too many versions to check.
 02/18/2006 06:35 AM

Author Icon
nagaty_h

windows 2000 has many versions.. the proffesional supports two sockets.. (if i remember right)

-------------------------
 02/20/2006 04:49 PM

Author Icon
EJS

quote:

Originally posted by: nagaty_h
windows 2000 has many versions.. the proffesional supports two sockets.. (if i remember right)

I believe your right about Win2k (Pro x32) supporting 2 sockets, but the question is: Will Win2k (Pro x32) fully support a pair of Dual Core CPU's while still being licenced? Licencing seems to be OK (As it seems to be based of # of sockets vs # of cores), but will that OS see and use all 4 logical cores?
 02/20/2006 05:01 PM

Author Icon
EJS

quote:

Originally posted by: zir_blazer
If I remember correctly, Windows 2000/XP/2003 Kernel seems to be able to support 32 Cores (If you got a Dual Core Processor right now, check the Affinity tab). However, Windows XP doesn't got a direct Server version that actually got the license to allow you to use them. That means that you must use Windows 2000 or 2003 Server versions if you want a heavy Server.
Windows XP Home Edition license supports a single Socket (You can even use the P4EE 3.2 GHz Smithfield with Hyper Threading and have four Logical Cores with it) and Windows XP Professional license supports two Socket. Windows XP (64 Bits) is based on the Professional version features so it should support too two Sockets, but I am not sure about that neither the rest, because there are too many versions to check.

Lets see if I undestand what you're saying:
"Windows 2000/XP/2003 Kernel seems to be able to support 32 Cores" meaning that any variant of these OS'es can support upto 32 cores, reguardless of number of physical dies (Either 32 Single Core CPU's, 16 Dual Core CPU's, 8 Quad (Rumored product) Core CPU's, etc?)? If this is true, than the only issue is proper licencing? Assuming all this, does this means that the mentioned OS'es that licence 2 sockets can support any pair of x-cored CPU as long as the total number of cores is under 32? Thanks.

Signed
Curious Rookie
 02/20/2006 08:18 PM

Author Icon
Bitey
Elite

Windows 2000 pro will probably only allow 2 cores to be used, I am not sure if the AMD driver will help matters.

Windows 2000 server probably has a enterprise level that will support more than 4 cpu/cores.

And linux's will support as many cores/cpu's as your are willing to compile a kernel for(64+). Well a lot anyway and scales well.
 02/21/2006 10:18 AM

Author Icon
nagaty_h

quote:

Originally posted by: Bitey
Windows 2000 pro will probably only allow 2 cores to be used, I am not sure if the AMD driver will help matters.

Windows 2000 server probably has a enterprise level that will support more than 4 cpu/cores.

And linux's will support as many cores/cpu's as your are willing to compile a kernel for(64+). Well a lot anyway and scales well.

win 2k has a version that supports up to 8 cpus (dont remember which version)..
i think 2003 server also supports something like that..

02/21/2006 10:29 AM

Author Icon
nagaty_h

http://www.microsoft.com/windo...rofe...eqs/default.asp
but the links for other versions are broken..

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information