Increase font size
Topic Title: Need a second opinion.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/15/2004 02:52 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/15/2004 02:52 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
MrFrustration

So here goes. New here. Been building systems for over a decade. Yadda. Not my first real servers, won't be my last. Two boxes I could use second opinions on - my primary concern is the cooling, second is power. Yeah, haven't done many Opterons yet. Yes, I checked SBG. Just want a second opinion.

First one - Opteron 146, 4x 512MB Corsair PC3200 ECC Reg'd B3, Tyan Tomcat K8S, 2x HGST SATA 80GB 7200RPM 8MB, 52x CD-ROM, 3.5" Floppy, Antec 3U25ATX350XR case.
-The power has me worried - Antec does not rate anywhere near even 45C, but there's also relatively little in this system. The CD-ROM and floppy will rarely if ever be used. That leaves pretty much the 4 DIMMs at 2.6V, the Opteron 146, the Tomcat, and one Broadcom GbE.
-Heat is another major concern. This machine will be at >80% CPU load 24x7x365. I've already made plans to swap the Sunon 92mm's with the higher flow variant, and a Delta EHE for the rear 80mm fan. I'm just worried that may not be enough. I also have concerns about the stock heatsink, since the CPU load will always be so high.

System two is significantly more complex.
1x Opteron 246, 4x 512MB Corsair PC3200 ECC Reg'd B3, Tyan Thunder K8SPro, Adaptec 2015S SODIMM ZCR, 2x IBM 146Z10-36 36GB 10025RPM 8MB SCSI-SCA/U320, 2x IBM 15K73-36 36GB 15000RPM 8MB SCSI-SCA/U320, Chenbro RM311-S w/8 SCA hotswap and Emacs/Zippy 460W triple-module.
-The PSU worries me like you wouldn't believe, obviously. 460W 'redundant' with three modules generally means '460W when it feels like it' and it's operating range is narrow. Anyone with experience? The 15K73's suck down the power, and I've no problem going with a PCP&C 510XE if needbe.
-Heat is a MAJOR concern. Using two YSTech 60mm 7000RPM 'superscreamers' in the rear - they move >40CFM each. Enough? Too much?

Thanks in advance!

-------------------------
MrFrustration
"i was overclocking before you could even say jumper!"
EcoNews: Nuclear fuel rods to be replaced with Intel Itanium2 processors. "Itanium2 produces far more heat while doing even less," say physicists.
disclaimer: the opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of any other parties. but feel free to agree anyways.
 02/15/2004 05:05 PM

Author Icon
jes

Just out of curiosity, what does server 1 do that makes it run at > 80% CPU 24/7/365?

Just wondering if you could have combined both systems into a dual box instead?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
http://www.shellprompt.net
Unix & Oracle Web Hosting Provider powered by AMD Opterons
 02/15/2004 07:38 PM

Author Icon
MrFrustration

QUOTE (jes @ Feb 15 2004, 05:05 PM) Just out of curiosity, what does server 1 do that makes it run at > 80% CPU 24/7/365?

Just wondering if you could have combined both systems into a dual box instead?
Heh, game server. Moving from a P4 2.8 (thank GODS) that can't even try to keep pace right now. Average utilization is going to be well over 80%. Pretty popular box.

The other one is a webserver, and nothing but. Relatively high volume as well. Hence the dual processor board (but only one CPU for now.)

MrFrustration
EcoNews: Nuclear fuel rods to be replaced with Intel Itanium2 processors. "Itanium2 produces far more heat while doing even less," say physicists.
disclaimer: the opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of any other parties. but feel free to agree anyways.
 02/16/2004 12:41 AM

Author Icon
Bitey
Elite

If you are uncertain about the PSU, it may be a good to go to better model, you don't want to be iffy about your PSU in a sever running 24/7.

As to the fans, while you have to move the air to keep it cool, using high speed fan might be a bit of a reliabilty issue, can you go up a size and use adaptor shrouds...eg big and reliable

And is 2x1G's stick's of memory out of the question? (an easier upgrade later on)
 02/16/2004 01:40 PM

Author Icon
MrFrustration

That was my feeling. Does anyone know if the Chenbro RM311S will hold the PCP&C 510XE or not? The operating range on the Zippy/Emacs stuff is garbage.. 40C.. bah. PCP&C rates 510W @ 40C, 460W+ @ 50C. YAY!

Yeah, fan lifespan was my primary concern after airflow. The YSTechs are cheap, and last ~3yrs. (I've been using them for a while.) After ~3yrs, they don't fail so much as need cleaned out and oiled. Since the system will get a 2nd CPU in ~3yrs, that's a good lifespan. They can be swapped out for new ones then. The fan wall is going to be lower speed Sunons, though. I've had problems with too much positive air pressure in crowded colos. Moving all the hot air from the drives into the board area, and not enough exhaust to pull all that out. Eww.

As to the 4x512 vs 2x1GB question, yes, 1GBs are out of the question. The 512MB's are B3 market grade. Nobody I've called will tell me what their market grade is or only has C3 or lower for 1GB DIMMs.

MrFrustration
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information