Increase font size
Topic Title: Dual Opteron 248 System
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/13/2004 12:17 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/13/2004 12:17 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
got3n

I need to know if that the opterons will support 32 bit windows or linux. im making a dual opteron server if it can support red hat linux 9.
 03/13/2004 02:08 PM

Author Icon
jes

Yes the opterons will support 32bit windows or linux. Although obviously you'll get more benefit from running a 64bit Operating System (there's a beta out for Windows, Linux has been 64bit for a few years now).

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
http://www.shellprompt.net
Unix & Oracle Web Hosting Provider powered by AMD Opterons
 03/14/2004 09:39 AM

Author Icon
got3n

well. people are saying that the kernel is not stable. if you could please point me to the right linux distro for a web/ cs server.
 03/14/2004 01:33 PM

Author Icon
jes

Heh...well and I don't mean this to sound sarcastic, but Linux has different branches of kernel release, stable, experimental etc.

So if you get a stable branch, then its a stable kernel!

As far as distro's go, I usually recommend Mandrake, but thats purely because I found it was the one that had a release for x86_64 before most of the others. If you feel comfortable compiling your own kernels, then really you could download almost any distro and replace the stock kernel with the one that you want.

For x86_64 I would recommend a 2.6 kernel (I'm currently running 2.6.3) since the performance is way more responsive than I found the 2.4 kernels to be. Plus there are a huge number of patches/fixes/addons for x86_64 in there.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
http://www.shellprompt.net
Unix & Oracle Web Hosting Provider powered by AMD Opterons
 03/14/2004 03:06 PM

Author Icon
got3n

thanx alot man.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information