Increase font size
Topic Title: what O/S is required for a quad opteron setup
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/09/2004 09:06 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/09/2004 09:06 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
basek

1)what O/S is required for a quad opteron setup?? (can I use XP or w2K or will I need to run them through linux?)

2)if I can run XP/w2K, will the audio applications that I currently run be compatable with and fully utilise a quad opteron system??

3)can anyone tell me (in laymans terms! of the realistic hardware expectations to take advantage of the bandwidth available on a quad opteron system, ie: what size of raid array and memory specs are required/recomended?

cheers

basek

08/09/2004 09:21 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Greyhound

QUOTE 1)what O/S is required for a quad opteron setup?? (can I use XP or w2K or will I need to run them through linux?)
If i recall correctly, Windows XP Pro and Windows 2000 Professional only support up to two processors, so you will prolly need Windows 2000/2003 Server or something...or Linux, of course.
QUOTE 2)if I can run XP/w2K, will the audio applications that I currently run be compatable with and fully utilise a quad opteron system??
Assuming you're using normal windows apps, they will most likely be compatible with a Win 2000/2003 Server O/S.

Personally, i doubt you would really need or be able to fully utilize a quad Opteron-setup, but then it really depends on *what* applications you're using exactly.
QUOTE 3)can anyone tell me (in laymans terms! of the realistic hardware expectations to take advantage of the bandwidth available on a quad opteron system, ie: what size of raid array and memory specs are required/recomended?
There is not really a requirement - it all depends on what you're planning to do with your system.

The possibilities are vast, of course: You could use several gigabytes of memory all kinds of SCSI/S-ATA/RAID controllers(on-board or via PCI-X cards), etc....but then you could have all of that with a dual-opteron system which should be more than enough for anything except maybe for a few really heavy server-type or number-crunching apps.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information