Increase font size
Topic Title: General Opteron Question
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/23/2004 04:31 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/23/2004 04:31 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
alexankius

Just a quick one from a newbie in Opterons

I 've purchased a dual Opteron 248 (Tyan K8W mobo) with 2Gb Mushkin ECC Reg PC3200 CAS 232 ram in order to run an @Risk/Excel/Vb application that took on a dual Athlon 3200+MP 2 hours..

Question is, am i better of running Win XP Pro 64 bit (with office 32 bit) or just plain old Win XP Pro 32 bit ?

Thanks for your help,
Alex
 11/23/2004 12:15 PM

Author Icon
jes

Well I guess the million dollar question is, what would you define as "better off".

I personally prefer to run a 64bit OS when I have a 64bit capable CPU, however you'd have to accept the fact that windows 64 bit software is still (relatively) in its infancy, so you might be subject to driver problems (ranging from bugs to simply not being able to find a 64bit driver), or to OS problems due to it's "newness".

Without really knowing what you tend to use your machine for, it's hard to advise. I tend to run Linux/Solaris on my machines and I'm very happy.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
http://www.shellprompt.net
Unix & Oracle Web Hosting Provider powered by AMD Opterons
 11/23/2004 12:21 PM

Author Icon
pointreyes

"@Risk/Excel/Vb application"?

As soon as I see Risk in the name and then Excel and Vb I'm concerned. If this is a Risk application with important information that needs to be available at all times then don't use what is considered still beta the 64-bit software. Excel currently works in 32-bit and so using a 32-bit OS is probably best at this time.

Diagram of Hardware Profile' ">http://members.dsl-only.net/~pointreyes/ga/hsystem.jpg

BSD Daemon Copyright 1988 by Marshall Kirk McKusick. All Rights Reserved.
 11/23/2004 01:39 PM

Author Icon
jes

Personally I'd also look into optimizing the application itself...but then that's just the performance freak in me

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
http://www.shellprompt.net
Unix & Oracle Web Hosting Provider powered by AMD Opterons
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information