Increase font size
Topic Title: Building a Game Server
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/20/2004 05:51 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/20/2004 05:51 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ShowDown

I wish to build my own game server but the idea is to launch as many game servers as possible with using the least amount of CPU resources.

I currently rent a 2.8ghz Dual Xeon with 1 GB of RAM. I can hold about 10 game servers because anymore then that, im peak hours of the gaming day, the system will hit 90% cpu usage.

Will the Opteron 246/248 64 bit lower that CPU usage? Or does it just allow me to run applications that support 64 bit mode?

It was explained to me that the 2.8ghz Xeon chip being only 32 bit could hold half the people because it has half the pipelines and the CPU usage fills up quicker. a 64 Bit chip would have double the pipe lines allowing you to hold more people on the box at a time.

Is this true?

While on the topic, I was thinking of doing a DUAL Opteron system for game serving. Will the system being dual allow me to hold even more clients on the box because it has a second chip to work off of?

These are very important questions as it greatly affects the amount of $ that will be spent on the server box.

If you have any suggestions for a server box that would hold more people then the Dual 2.8 Xeon or 3.2 Xeon let me know. In the gaming business its all about how many clients your box can hold. As it is, i have to move people off the 2.8 Dual Xeon because its not good to be running it at 90% cpu because it can cause in game lag.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information