Increase font size
Topic Title: opteron vs FX55
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/10/2004 10:11 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/10/2004 10:11 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
letdoit

I would like to know, if i using either opteron or FX55, for playing games. which CPU will gave better performance. Using same graphic card. Only memory is different, ECC and Non ECC....

Pls don't tell me FX55 is better because is cheaper/ I need to know the performence
 12/13/2004 12:04 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Bitey
Elite

The FX-55 will be slightly faster. Since the fx-55 uses normal unbuffered ram and it is very easy to find unregistered low latency ram.(eg cas2)

With the opteron you must use registered ram which is slightly slower and harder to find in low latency flavours.

Side by side with equivalent memory timings the the fx-55 will still be marginaly faster due to extra register(?) operation required when opterons access registered ram (though it is only a very small difference)

There is also one other important difference, the fx-55(939) can only be expanded to 4Gb but the (1x)opteron can be expaneded to at least 16gb.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information