AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Memory Upgrade to 2 or 3 GB ? Memory Interleave ?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/10/2004 01:44 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/10/2004 01:44 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Pablov

Hello,

I have a Tyan Tiger K8W with 2 Opteron 246 and 1 kit of Kingston Ram KRX3200AK2/1GB (2 modules of 512 MB each) .

I would like to know two different things:

1 - BANK INTERLEAVING

I read ( http://www.celestica.com/uploa.../Tec...etin_Aug804.pdf' ">http://www.celestica.com/uploa...ch_Bulletin_Aug804.pdf ) that Bank Interleave is only possible when placing "4 identical DIMMs".
I was thinking about purchasing a 2 GB Kit KRX3200AK2/2G (2 modules of 1 GB each) In this case... is the Bank Interleave possible ? According to that document it won't... They are not identical to the 1 GB kit modules.. Although it is supposed to have the same timing..

If I buy an identical kit of what I already have (1 GB kit), then I only will get 2 GB of Ram and won't be able for future upgrades of memory. (The motherboard has only 4 slots for memory)

Questions:

- Is the Bank Interleave a real improvement in performance ?
- Is that document correct and Bank interleave is only possible with 4 identical memory modules ? (besides the 2 kits I mentioned have same timing)
- In that case.... If I choose to have bank interleaving I only get 2 GB. Would it be better than having 3 GB without bank interleaving ?

2- The second topic is about MAYA.

Is more memory worth the buy when using Maya ?
I have 1 GB of Ram, and I don't know if Maya actually works faster or better with 2 GB or 3 GB in real world.

I tested my system with 512 MB (1 module) and 1 GB (2 modules of 512) of Ram, and I didn't find any noticeable perofrmance improvement in Maya.

Question:

- Do you have real experience about this you can share ?

Any Help is very much appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance !!

Pablo
 12/13/2004 12:13 AM

Author Icon
Bitey
Elite

I would think you identical rams may well be required for interleaved access.

However the performance gain will not be very large, maybe in the region 1-2%.

Its not like 128 bit vs 64bit access where you effectively double your bandwidth its more a of tweak to get that little bit of extra perfomance.

Having said that, my only previous expereince with older via chipsets. So the above might be a little dated but I can't see interleaving providing a large performance increase.
 12/14/2004 04:05 PM

Author Icon
3DMan

Hi I use softimage XSi and build my own workstations.
If maya is using more memory in your scene than the ram you have maya will then use the hardrive as ram memory so your comp slows down. Adding more ram stops maya using your hardrive as ram and so your comp stays fast.

When working on your largest scene look at your comps performance display to see how much ram your using if you have 1Gb and it says its using 1.2 gb maya is being slowed down by lack of ram. If its only using 900mb and you have 1gb you will not notice any difference adding more ram.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information