Topic Title: Iwill SFF workstation ZMAXdp
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/22/2004 03:25 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/22/2004 03:25 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Calvn_Swing

So, Armari is taking advance orders on their version of the Iwill ZMAXdp! They have barebones and custom configuration available now online!

I'm still trying to find out who in America is offering them, as Armari is the UK partner and I don't want to pay that much in shipping and taxes.

Anyway, my funding doesn't come through till mid January so I'm stuck till then, but if anyone has ordered/recieved or is planning on doing so soon, please post here! Personally, I am hoping for a barebones and then wanting to install a small LCD screen somewhere on the case so I don't have to lug around a huge monitor just to turn it on and see what's happening. Either that or, if I get really adventurous I might even try installing a small projector inside somewhere, or in a small add on on the back since the power supply already sticks it's ugly butt out there.

But, enough about me, anybody else have grand schemes? Or am I alone in the world?

Also, I'm dying to hear from someone "in person" who has actually used one for something.

Thanks!

-------------------------
Iwill Zmax DP SFF Barebones kit... (300W PSU, 8 USB, 1 FW, etc...)
Dual AMD Opteron 275's | 2 Gigs (2 Dimms 1024Mb) Patriot RAM 3-3-3-8
WD Caviar 80 Gig HDD - System
WD Raptor 74 Gig HDD
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256
NEC ND-3520A Dual Layer DVD±RW | Mitsumi Floppy/Card Reader combo
 12/23/2004 10:56 AM

Author Icon
ZapWizard

I am also awaiting the Dualy Zmax.

I want to make it my main system, and watercool using some custom waterblocks.
I also hope to figure out how to get rid of the ugly PSU.
I was thinking of trying to install a PSU as an extension to the bottom, making the case a little taller. That or just gut out the Dualy motherboard and build a case of my own.

I like your projector idea, it would be pretty expensive for a projector that small.

' ">http://www.ZapWizard.com
The opinions expressed above do not represent the views of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 12/24/2004 01:52 AM

Author Icon
Calvn_Swing

yeah,

there was some article (I want to say on Hexus, but maybe on Tom's Hardware?) on how to build your own projector for 600 dollars.

I am not that familiar with the site I saw it on, and the idea hadn't set in yet so I didn't bother reading it. But, hindsight happens and I though how cool would that be? If I read the ventilation diagrams right (though they aren't always so truthful - there was a case once that claimed it could make hot air ventilate down naturally - right) there is a chunk of space inside that might be utilized, and of course there is the ZmaxDP Ghetto Booty PSU. I figured I could perhaps lengthen the case a bit and fit a setup pointing out the back. As long as it didn't interfere with the ventilation much I thought I could hide the booty and make it a more pleasing package. Or maybe I'll go ghetto on it and duct tape a portable projector to the top and snake the s-video cable around a couple of times and turn it into a functional shoulder strap/monitor cord. I call it white trash sheik.

But really,

I figure that the one downfall to the SFF genre is the inability to pretend it is a laptop and use it on the go - in your car, in the hotel, even an airplane - without lugging a monitor around with you along with a small generator.

Slapping a mini projector or an LCD the size of the side of the case solves part of the issue. It isn't good for working on, but if you want to check the progress of a batch render, or just run an animation through to see how it's coming - that wouldn't be too bad.

I'm not too big on the watercooling - I want to take this around places and I'm still a little too nervous a connection is going to break while I'm riding my bike to work/school with it in my backpack.

But, if I run out of funds too early - and I probably will - if you figure out how to get rid of the severe case of computer butt it has I'd be thankful for any hints! Until then, look on the bright side. Even if you shove it against the wall, only the PSU cable is going to get bent out of shape. The connection is a lot stronger and the cable is a lot cheaper than say a monitor cable. I had my dad break a motherboard shoving a computer in a desk too small for the box. The marge cables broke the I/O attachments right off the board when they hit the back of the furniture. Ok, so kind of a freak situation, but hey - the glass is half full, kindof.

Lemme know when you get it in and play with it a bit. I can't wait for mine - but I have to! (Darn money)

Have fun, and take it easy.

Adios

WD Raptor 74 Gig HDD
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256
 01/18/2005 01:19 PM

Author Icon
Calvn_Swing

YAY! - sort of...

"I just get a update ZMAXdp news from our PM. The shipment will be delay to
the end of Jan. or beginning of Feb. 2005. Please give me your phone # so I
will call you that when is ready for sell.
Here is our website for ZMAXdp spec sheet as follow:
ZMAXdp: http://www.iwill.net/product_2.asp?p_id=36' ">http://www.iwill.net/product_2.asp?p_id=36 (New item, black color)

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact with me. Thanks!

Best regards,

Tracy Liao/Iwill USA

/Edit, Removed contact info, as this is a public forum -ZapWizard

So someone finally tells us a date! I'm drooling in anticipation...

Zapwizard, here it comes!

WD Raptor 74 Gig HDD
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256
 01/18/2005 03:42 PM

Author Icon
ZapWizard

Awsome, mabye I can put one of these in Project Redwood.

The opinions expressed above do not represent the views of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 01/28/2005 07:13 PM

Author Icon
Calvn_Swing

Well, I ordered the barebones from Iwill online about ten minutes ago. Trying to find a good price on the processors and ram. Have an old ATI 9800 Pro I'm going to drop in it for now...maybe in a few months I'll drop in an Nvidia Quadro FX 3000.

I'm so excited...I have it!

(Zapwizard, I don't suppose you have a few opteron's laying around? hehe. I'll ship it to you so you can play with it, maybe install a projector - right? wink. )

WD Raptor 74 Gig HDD
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256
 01/28/2005 08:22 PM

Author Icon
ZapWizard

I am envious.

Sorry I don't have any chips laying around.

01/30/2005 11:13 PM

Author Icon
Calvn_Swing

So, here are two questions for general suggestion:
I have browsed the various hardware review sites and come up a bit dry. I'm looking for the best performing but still stable Reistered Ram to put in this baby. I'm assuming that it can't overclock as the Opteron is locked, so I don't care if it reaches 533 Mhz DDR, just fast, stable, and not super pricey. (Always the money holds me back.) So if you think that there is some RAM that stands above the rest in terms of performance for the price - lemme know!

Also, to the modders out there. I'm dying to pop a little LCD screen somewhere on this baby so I can take it places with me easily. Not something for doing intense work, but something that I can check on the progress of renderings, check my e-mail, and in general do little stuff. Naturally it would be snazzy if it could do additional things, maybe touch screen so I wouldn't even need to carry a mouse? Hey, I'm dreaming - help me out. Where would I get one and what might I need to pull this off. I'm assuming I'd just plug it into one of the two available monitor outputs on the graphics card I'll get. Anyone who's done it before please chime in. It may well be beyond my abilities to do and that would be good to know before I put money into it.

Thanks!

WD Raptor 74 Gig HDD
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256
 01/31/2005 10:26 AM

Author Icon
redclawkefar

calvin... as for ram, the sticks in my sig are what we've liked the most. 2-3-2-6 for timings which is better than the "standard' 3-3-3-6 most companied recommend.

SYSTEM-1: 2x Viewsonic VX900-2 19"| Tyan S2885ANRF (Rev.A, bios v2.07) | 1x ATI Radeon X800 Pro 256MB | 2x AMD Opteron 248-HE Single-Core CPU | 8x 512mb PC3200 Corsair XMS Series ECC Reg. (CMX512RE-3200LL) | 2x Seagate LVD 36.7Gb U320 SCSI 10,000rpm RAID0 (ST336607LW) | 1x Seagate LVD 36.7Gb U320 SCSI 1
 01/31/2005 10:39 AM

Author Icon
ZapWizard

LCD screen in a Shuttle Mod:

http://www.sfftech.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=266' ">http://www.sfftech.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=266

01/31/2005 08:30 PM

Author Icon
Calvn_Swing

Thanks everyone.

I was hoping to find some 2-2-2-? sticks, but I guess they aren't out there, or are quite pricey if they are.

I think I'll do my touch screen mod in a few months - It turns out Xenarc has a decent little LCD screen and a touch-screen kit that together are cheaper than their identical touchscreen+LCD package. 469 for the already assembled one and about 380 for the two seperate.

I've got to get it up and running first. If I can accomplish that I'll be ready to try for a real mod. Who knows, maybe I'll win the lottery between now and then and integrate a projector instead. Or maybe both - after someone figures out how to sqeeze a 450 watt power supply in there without the ghetto booty.

Adios!

WD Raptor 74 Gig HDD
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256
 02/09/2005 11:11 AM

Author Icon
ZapWizard

I found a projector for ya:

http://www.chait.net/index.php?p=572&page=2' ">http://www.chait.net/index.php?p=572&page=2

Tiny, be aware only 800x600 though

02/10/2005 09:53 AM

Author Icon
Calvn_Swing

You rock!

That's so perfect!!! I'll be waiting...

Oh, you were also thinking about a way to get rid of the power suppply protrusion. I know this isn't the best solution, but why not turn it into a power brick - like on laptop power cords - and have it be on the cord instead of in the case. Still bulky I know, but a little less conspicuous perhaps? Plus then you could get a higher wattage one. Anyway, there are probably much better ways but it's the first that poppen into my little brain.

Also, looking around inside my case, it's surprisingly spacious! Seriously. Plenty of room for watercooling, especially if you can shrink/relocate the power supply.

Anyway, I got my RAM in yesterday, got my two 246's the day before along with a dual layer DVD burner...(I really wanted a lightscribe - I know it's more gimmick than anything else probably, but it is a cool gimick and my girlfriend digs it. Alas, they are still unavailable without the HP computer that goes with them! Today I should get my two 76Gb WD 10K Raptors...hehehe.... So I imagine tonight I'll be blissfully playing with my future attempting to assemble my first PC from scratch.

If there are any last minute tips you all want to throw my way...I've read all the "building your own workstation" threads I can find...I'd still appreciate any other hints. Oh, and I can't seem to find anything about "Burn in?" I've heard that before as something you do with a new computer but there are of course no threads I could find about it. Anyway, lemme know! Thanks everyone!

Thanks Especially to ZapWizard for all his help and advice - and finding a mini-projector! (That mod, or the touch screen LCD, will come sometime this summer or early fall.)

WD Raptor 74 Gig HDD
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256
 02/12/2005 01:22 AM

Author Icon
Calvn_Swing

umm, despite the intense urge not to feel stupid, I have to ask the following question...

How in the heck do you unplug a stinking SATA cable from a blinking motherboard.

Am I totally insane for asking? I swear to (someone) that I have tried everything I can think of but the darn thing won't come loose. Maybe I'm being a pansy in my fear of breaking the motherboard...

Regardless, the Zmax only has two SATA ports, one of which is cabled to the back of the case for an external port, and here I have two 76Gb SATA internal drives (Raptors...Yummy! that I want inside. SO, naturally I want to remove the cable to the external port from the motherboard and plug ont in for the other HDD. But no amount of tugging, jimmying, or googleing has lead me closer to an unplugged cable. I assume that they are meant to be disconnected SOMEHOW. Please tip me off, I can't stand the feeling of utter non-geekdom that is shrouding my possible success.

Humbly,

Thank you (in advance).

WD Raptor 74 Gig HDD
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256
 02/12/2005 06:34 AM

Author Icon
redclawkefar

can you post a pic? it makes no sense to me right now why you cant unplug the darn thing. weird...

SYSTEM-1: 2x Viewsonic VX900-2 19"| Tyan S2885ANRF (Rev.A, bios v2.07) | 1x ATI Radeon X800 Pro 256MB | 2x AMD Opteron 248-HE Single-Core CPU | 8x 512mb PC3200 Corsair XMS Series ECC Reg. (CMX512RE-3200LL) | 2x Seagate LVD 36.7Gb U320 SCSI 10,000rpm RAID0 (ST336607LW) | 1x Seagate LVD 36.7Gb U320 SCSI 1
 02/14/2005 06:41 PM

Author Icon
Calvn_Swing

Well, I finally got them loose!

Anyway, they were a lot harder to remove than any PATA cable I've undone, but there was no catch or anything. Don't know why they're so tight on this board. I ended pu making a little piece to fit against the motherboard to push off of so I wasn't warping it while pulling the cables loose. Man was it a pain in the (ahem).

So, here's another Q... anyone know if one of those silly adapters to convert a PATA plug on the motherboard to SATA really works. (Yes, I know it's "pointless" as you are reducing the bandwidth to the SATA drive, etc...) The Zmax dp has an external SATA port on it and I have two internal 76Gb 10K Raptors I want on the inside. I don't want the gaping wound from removing the external SATA connection, nor do I have any old PATA drives or intend on ever getting one. As such, it makes more sense for me to get an adapter and attach the external SATA plug to it. I imagine you can't do Hot Swap or anything, but then the board supposedly doesn't support it anyway. Whatever.

Oh, and by the way...it's beautiful. Truly, mind bogglingly, beautiful. Get one, you can't really appreciate it till you do!

Adios...

WD Raptor 74 Gig HDD
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256
 02/15/2005 11:00 AM

Author Icon
ZapWizard

The stuck plugs were probably just because they were new.

As far as SATA to PATA Adapters, I have tried and benchmarked with them, they have no loss in speed (Vs PATA) and they work very well, as advertized.

02/15/2005 02:45 PM

Author Icon
iatacs19

what about these sticks? they are 2-2-3-6

OCZ from Newegg' ">http://www.newegg.com/app/View...tion=20-146-940&depa=0

Ok, I am very interested in getting the same SFF from newegg ($670), but I have a few questions...

1. Is it better to buy a retail or OEM CPU? (intel ones are usually better in retail, not sure about AMD, better binning?)

2. Do the steppings have to match, along with close serial #s for dual CPU config? (will start out with 1 cpu @1.6ghz, Opteron 242, then upgrade to dual 2ghz+ when they are cheaper)

3. I saw that new 1000mhz HT CPUs came out, do you need a new chipset to support these or are they supported since the northbridge is in the CPU?

4. Are Nvidia chipsets solid? I have heard a lot of bad stories about VIA chipsets and their 3-in-1 drivers, etc. I am hoping Nvidia chipsets have better support from microsoft right off the cd

5. How is the noise level on the Zmax-DP?

Thank you.
 02/15/2005 03:07 PM

Author Icon
ZapWizard

That is pretty good memory.

1: Retail Opteron's have a Three year warrenty, well worth it.
2: Close serial numbers, and steppings help, but model number matching is the only must.
3: 1Ghz HT is up to the CPU and Northbridge. That northbridge should support it, if the Opteron does also.
4: nVidia chipsets are VERY solid, ever since the nForce2 days.
VIA was not as solid for Athlon XP chips, but all their Athlon 64 chipsets are great.
5: (No idea)

02/16/2005 05:05 AM

Author Icon
Calvn_Swing

That is the memory I bought!

Cheaper than the 2326 from Kingston and Corsair... Works beautifully with timings it says. And they're pretty too!

1. Get the retail!
2. Ditto
3. Ditto
4. Ditto

5. Well... It isn't BAD, but it isn't great. (Though truthfully I think it is my fault. This is the first time I've built one myself and I think I had problems putting the thermal grease on - plus it isn't the greatest thermal grease ever. Truthfully, I'd really have liked to use the pads that came with the Processors in the Retail box, but alas they had already been applied to the bloody heatsinks that came with it. (which you can sell since you won't need them) They are running a bit hot (one at 53 idling, one at 55 - the fan threshold), and the fans idle up pretty quickly once the temperature starts rising. However, they've never had to go over 3000 RPM's yet, and I left it rendering a FormZ animation for 15 hours. (Oh, for benchmarks, it took three weeks for the same scene to render on a P4 3.4 Ghz and a 64mb graphics card. And my FormZ is single-threaded.)

Anyway, a bit noisier than I like, but I shall fix that soon I hope. I'm downloading all the benchmarking apps and will post some infor on it this weekend once I have time to run them.

My rig is as follows:

(2) AMD Opteron 246's
(2) 512mb OCZ Ram 2-2-3-6
(1) WD Caviar 8mb cache 80 Gig HDD
(1) ATI 9800 Pro 256Mb ram

(I should be replacing the one hard drive with two 10K raptors soon. A bit of a mix-up with the people I bought them from. And D@#* the price drop for happening 5 days after I ordered my Opterons! - Of course the merchant won't do anything about it. And I promised to buy the two hard drives from them instead if they'd give me the difference in store credit. Along with an LCD display. Sigh, short sighted retailers! Good luck with it! It is an awesome thing indeed.)

WD Raptor 74 Gig HDD
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information