Topic Title: Iwill SFF workstation ZMAXdp
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/22/2004 03:25 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/16/2005 07:44 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
iatacs19

Great, thank you for the informative replies!

Looking forward for more information Calvin as you get more familiar with the system.

1 more question... Is there any way to tell what stepping a boxed retail CPU is? At newegg.com they have the Opteron 244 BOX for $250 and the OEM for $283...
The OEM for sure is the latest stepping which I believe supports DDR400 while the BOX version has no stepping info. I was reading on another post that earlier revision steppings do no support DDR400.

Opteron 244 OEM vs. BOX @ newegg.com' ">http://www.newegg.com/app/sear...&srchFor=opteron%20244
 02/16/2005 03:49 PM

Author Icon
Calvn_Swing

Well, I'm not the guy to ask...

There is a page somewhere on the AMD site that will help you identify steppings from serial numbers, and you can contact NewEgg for that kind of information. You may just try e-maling them and seeing if they have that info on hand.

I imagine they are all newer steppings (At least new enough to support DDR3200)

But who knows...

Good luck. (Make sure you get written information about the serials, not just a phone conversation. That way you can hold them to it. (P.S. I know NewEgg just got a new shipment of Boxed 246's in. They were out of stock a week ago. Those should be the newest of the new steppings.

Adios!

-------------------------
Iwill Zmax DP SFF Barebones kit... (300W PSU, 8 USB, 1 FW, etc...)
Dual AMD Opteron 275's | 2 Gigs (2 Dimms 1024Mb) Patriot RAM 3-3-3-8
WD Caviar 80 Gig HDD - System
WD Raptor 74 Gig HDD
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256
NEC ND-3520A Dual Layer DVD±RW | Mitsumi Floppy/Card Reader combo
 02/21/2005 12:46 PM

Author Icon
Calvn_Swing

Allright,

So, I've had a few days with it, playing around and whatnot. Here are my current impressions...

A little loud. (I'm running 246's so maybe the heat is a little hefty for the system. I'm just glad I'm not running 250's!

A little hot! (Things are running between 110-120 degrees on my processors. That's hotter than I'm used to at least from my last two systems. Then again, thermal density is way up so maybe I'm spoiled? Someone with a dualy 246 normal rig might be kind enough to post their operating temperatures perhaps?)

Other than that it is wonderful!

I have one little problem (probably my fault as well). Whenever I boot up the first time it trys to detect a raid array and since I have only one hard drive it can't. It then says: "Improper boot device...blah blah blah" Basically asking me to stick in a boot disk. I hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete and it re-boots and presto it boots from my hard drive. No problems. But why does it have to go therough the raid thing? I have disabled the nvidia raid until I get my other hard drives. (I e-mailed Iwill so maybe they'll make a fix.)

But, I've run Aquamark, PCmark04, 3Dmark05, and am going to run Sisoft Sandra and 3DMark03 tomorrow. Once I have I'll post the results.

Don't think of this as a replacement for a desktop replacement laptop or as a workstation equivalent. Performance is on par but with only one PCI slot and limited space for the AGP graphics card you are a little limited (by the power supply too!

Anyway, unless the noise cuts down when I re-do the thermal grease, the first mod I'm going to try is one that will cut down on the noise! However, DON'T think you can drop in the AMD heatsinks and leave out the Iwill fancy ones. The AMD ones don't circulate the air in the right directions and case temperature skyrockets. Oh, and it's noisier! But yeah. It feels like a nice heater if you stick your hand near the back of the power supply. Quite warm! I think I'll put it in my bathroom and schedule it to turn on at about 5:00 am. Heat things up nicely!

Adios.

WD Raptor 74 Gig HDD
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256
 02/21/2005 01:34 PM

Author Icon
ZapWizard

Cool info.

You can't drop in any normal heatsinks, as the iWill shares mounting holes for both CPUs.
You need a totaly custom job. (Waterblock)

Remember they do have PowerNow! for Opterons (Cool'n'Quiet basicly)

' ">http://www.ZapWizard.com
The opinions expressed above do not represent the views of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 02/22/2005 10:37 AM

Author Icon
iatacs19

Thanks for the update Calvin.

The noise is the only thing of concern for me at this point. I currently have a Dell 400SC with a 2.4ghz P4 and it's super quiet. I leave it running 24/7 and i sleep in the same room so silence is important to me. Is there any way you can describe/quantify the noise? I plan to go with 2 x 244 CGs.

Thank you again.
 02/24/2005 11:53 AM

Author Icon
Calvn_Swing

The only thing I can think of is this:

1. I need to add better thermal paste or a thermal pad (to prevent operator error!

2. The heatsinks are probably a lot quiter on lower level Opterons. If I were you I'd get either the Low Energy ones (A lot quieter! or lower performanc ones.

3. The only other think I can think of is that airflow is pretty restricted in there (very compact! the fans are blowing through the power supply. This creates a lot of turbulence, and thus, a lot of noise. I'm am going (at some point) to remove the power supply from the CPU and try some of those "modular" power supplies that I can leave seperate from the box. If I can find one that (when properly ventilated) can work without a fan then I'll buy two. Leave one at work and one at home. And use connectors to disconnect the PSU from the computer. This way it weighs less, has more airflow, and hopefully operates more quietly. (This would also make room for a watercooling system maybe?) I was worried about this being portable from the get go (I want to transport it between work and home) and had scratched off watercooling because of all the moving around. But, Apple is making the G5 Powerbook with watercooling so it must be possible! Or I may see if strategically adding a (very) quiet fan here or there might increase airflow and allow the CPU fans to run a little slower. (When they idle down it really is almost un-noticeable. It's when they speed up - regularly - that it makes a racket)

Oh, I have all the benchmarks done, but they are at home. I'll post them tonight!

Thanks everyone for your help!!!

WD Raptor 74 Gig HDD
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256
 02/24/2005 12:17 PM

Author Icon
Calvn_Swing

Zap - the sockets share mounting holes, but if you have heatsinks with the little clippy thingies you can get them in - without the hard drive cage though. I tried it out from curiosity and managed to get one of the two on easily. I booted up (with the hard drive on a static mat to one side and only one CPU in, put on the case cover, and watched the temp go higher and higher. It wasn't a functional solution at any rate, but the fact that air wasn't being drawn in from anywhere (the side vents have a screen on them and that offers enough resistance for the air to want to circulate inside and not ever leave. (Oh, and the power supply got really hot too!

So, as this applies to watercooling??? Make sure you make a custom waterblock for the power supply too! Otherwise, without processor fans, no airflow over the power supply = not enough power for both processors right? (It heats up, looses effeciency and output decreses) Maybe you can incorporate the radiator for the water system in line with the PSU like the current system and only need one fan?

(Ooh, you could find a way to use the current heatsink radiators with the watercooling instead maybe? It might be worth it - they're gorgeous.)

Anyway, I'll leave you alone now!

WD Raptor 74 Gig HDD
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256
 02/24/2005 04:23 PM

Author Icon
Calvn_Swing

Here are the benchmarks!

System Configuration:
2 AMD Opteron 246 Revision CG
2 Matched sticks of 512MB OCZ 2-3-2-6 RAM
NEC 2050A DVD Dual Layer Burner
WD Caviar 80Gb HDD with 8Mb cache
Radeon 9800 Pro 256Mb
HyperTransport to Southbridge 800Mhz
HyperTransport between CPU's 1000Mhz

I'm going to fiddle with things in the Bios a bit and run the stuff again to see if I can tweak it any. (Though there are some things in the Bios I don't understand - always new things to learn!

Zap - if you want any close up pictures of things (better than what is online at least) let me know. Anyone else too. I haven't set up a webpage for myself in ages so that's a no go, but I can e-mail them out.

Enjoy - if anything looks wrong please tell me! I'd like to know if I've got something I should focus on fixing!

3D Mark 03 - 3964

AquaMark3 - 36875
GFX - 4715
CPU - 8456
Tri/sec - 11100858
FPS - 36.88

3D Mark 05 - 1835
Game - 1835
CPU - 4799

Note: All graphics benchmarks run at 1024 by 768, AA off, Aniso at 4x, details set to highest.

PC Mark 04 - 5619

CPU - 5347
Memory - 4466
Graphic - 2719
HDD - 3970

SiSoftware Sandra

CPU Benchmark Results
Dhrystone ALU : 16785 MIPS
Whetstone FPU : 6392 MFLOPS
Whetstone iSSE2 : 8418 MFLOPS

RAM Benchmark Results
RAM Bandwidth Int Buff'd iSSE2 : 4604 MB/s
RAM Bandwidth Float Buff'd iSSE2 : 4602 MB/s

Int Buff'd iSSE2 (Integer STREAM) Results Breakdown
Assignment : 4606MB/s
Scaling : 4616MB/s
Addition : 4596MB/s
Triad : 4599MB/s
Data Item Size : 16 byte(s)
Buffering Used : Yes
Offset Displacement Used : Yes
Bandwidth Efficiency : 72% (estimated)

Float Buff'd iSSE2 (Float STREAM) Results Breakdown
Assignment : 4604MB/s
Scaling : 4608MB/s
Addition : 4600MB/s
Triad : 4599MB/s
Data Item Size : 16 byte(s)
Buffering Used : Yes
Offset Displacement Used : Yes
Bandwidth Efficiency : 72% (estimated)

HDD Benchmark Results
Drive Index : 26 MB/s

Optical Drive Benchmark Results
Drive Index : 2519 kB/s

WD Raptor 74 Gig HDD
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256
 06/06/2005 07:45 AM

Author Icon
jwab

Has anyone had overheating experiences with these Zmaxdp. I got one and it over heats all the fricking time. The fans seem to be running in slow motion. I can speed them up by using speedfan utility, but that doesnt work properly as it just whacks them on full blast. Lotta noise, cool cpu. btw I only got 1 Opteron 248. Cant afford the other just yet.

My bios is v111, i see there is a 115 but that means slapping a floppy in which I'd rather not have todo.

Anyway hints of keeping it cool is what I'm after

-------------
ZmaxDP
1 x Opteron 248
2 x 512 ATP PC3200 ECC
1 x Seagate SATA 120GB Barracuda
1 x LG DVD/CDRW combo
1 x NVidia 6600 256MB
 07/20/2005 01:49 PM

Author Icon
iatacs19

Try to go here for more help:

http://forums.2cpu.com/showthr...thre...0&pagenumber=16' ">http://forums.2cpu.com/showthr...rpage=30&pagenumber=16

It is a larger used base and more active.

Good luck.

QUOTE(jwab @ Jun 6 2005, 03:45 AM)Has anyone had overheating experiences with these Zmaxdp. I got one and it over heats all the fricking time. The fans seem to be running in slow motion. I can speed them up by using speedfan utility, but that doesnt work properly as it just whacks them on full blast. Lotta noise, cool cpu. btw I only got 1 Opteron 248. Cant afford the other just yet.

My bios is v111, i see there is a 115 but that means slapping a floppy in which I'd rather not have todo.

Anyway hints of keeping it cool is what I'm after
-------------
ZmaxDP
1 x Opteron 248
2 x 512 ATP PC3200 ECC
1 x Seagate SATA 120GB Barracuda
1 x LG DVD/CDRW combo
1 x NVidia 6600 256MB
[right][snapback]431985[/snapback][/right]

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information