AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Is it possible to make simple SocketF -->S940 adapter ?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/12/2007 03:31 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 4 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/12/2007 03:31 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
brankob

... is it possible to make some simple multilayer PC with pins on the lower side and solderball isles on the upper side, so that one could solder the new CPU onto the adapter and then plug the whole into S940 board ?

Socket F is supposed to work with any RAM and if simple registered DDR falls then maybe it could be possible to do this.

Is any hardware guru present here that could shed some light on this ?

02/12/2007 03:53 AM

Author Icon
nagaty_h

i dont think so as there are many hardware differences between skt 940 and skt F optys.. the most obvious one is the difference in memory controller..

-------------------------
 02/12/2007 04:45 AM

Author Icon
brankob

quote:

Originally posted by: nagaty_h
i dont think so as there are many hardware differences between skt 940 and skt F optys.. the most obvious one is the difference in memory controller..

What about memory controller ? AFAIK the one in Socket F is universal, so it could be able to work with registered ECC DDR-I...
 02/12/2007 08:51 AM

Author Icon
mckennma

quote:

Originally posted by: brankob
... is it possible to make some simple multilayer PC with pins on the lower side and solderball isles on the upper side, so that one could solder the new CPU onto the adapter and then plug the whole into S940 board ?

Socket F is supposed to work with any RAM and if simple registered DDR falls then maybe it could be possible to do this.

Depnds on the number of active pins. I would not do it. Probably cheaper to get a Socket F board and CPU.

Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
8GB NUMA enabled DDR333 2.5-3-3-7 RAM
PCI-X SCSI RAID
http://69.14.190.80
 02/12/2007 11:23 AM

Author Icon
nagaty_h

quote:

Originally posted by: Unknown the one in Socket F is universal

does skt F support both DDR and DDR2? i dont think so..

02/12/2007 02:20 PM

Author Icon
brankob

quote:

does skt F support both DDR and DDR2? i dont think so..

It could well be that it does. Usually new generations are built on previous generations and it might be that DDR-1 support is present but not declared since it is obsolete for new machines.
 02/12/2007 03:53 PM

Author Icon
mckennma

quote:

It could well be that it does. Usually new generations are built on previous generations and it might be that DDR-1 support is present but not declared since it is obsolete for new machines.

Could it? Maybe?

Would it be fully compliant? NO!

Why would I want to run a Socket F Opteron on a older board that does not support all the features of the chip. Even a highend server board is $500. Why spend $1000+ per CPU to put it on wrong technology? It would be a worst practice method. Socket converters in the past were necessary. Today, you buy the right board for a CPU.

Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
PCI-X SCSI RAID
 02/12/2007 04:11 PM

Author Icon
nagaty_h

quote:

Originally posted by: Unknown It could well be that it does. Usually new generations are built on previous generations and it might be that DDR-1 support is present but not declared since it is obsolete for new machines.

pls see if u can find a document that proves this.. there are some things that "could" doesnt fit in as mck said..

02/12/2007 06:39 PM

Author Icon
zeppelinrox

there are easier ways to blow up a computer

Overclocking Help and Links . Why DRM, BluRay and HD-DVD Blow Great tools-> OC Bible v1.52 and Guidemania v1.2
 02/13/2007 03:47 AM

Author Icon
brankob

quote:

Originally posted by: zeppelinrox
there are easier ways to blow up a computer

I don't see reason for skepse. It wouldn't be a first time for such undocumented thing to work.

And it shouldn't be too complicated either. I suspect that main change in Socket F is imprved pwer distribution and better support for split plane core power. Main signals and their distribution are probably very similar, which means that wiring shouldn't be complicated and above all short...

02/13/2007 05:05 AM

Author Icon
nagaty_h

quote:

Originally posted by: Unknown And it shouldn't be too complicated either. I suspect that main change in Socket F is imprved pwer distribution and better support for split plane core power. Main signals and their distribution are probably very similar, which means that wiring shouldn't be complicated and above all short...

and a different memory controller that uses ddr2 instead of ddr1..

02/13/2007 12:48 PM

Author Icon
brankob

quote:

and a different memory controller that uses ddr2 instead of ddr1..

That shouldn't be too important. Each new technology is usually superset of the old one.

BTW: Does anyone have the link to Socket F Opteron datasheet and User Manual ?

I couldn't find anything on amd.com ...
 02/13/2007 01:26 PM

Author Icon
mckennma

quote:

That shouldn't be too important. Each new technology is usually superset of the old one.

BTW: Does anyone have the link to Socket F Opteron datasheet and User Manual ?

I couldn't find anything on amd.com ...

It would probably cost more to prototype the adapter than buy a quality board. Check the developer pages of AMD.

Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
PCI-X SCSI RAID
 02/13/2007 01:36 PM

Author Icon
brankob

quote:

Originally posted by: mckennma
It would probably cost more to prototype the adapter than buy a quality board. Check the developer pages of AMD.

Why ? 5x5 cm multilayer can't be that expensive. IMHO it's certainly worth a try.

I have checked developer pages of AMD. I can find materials for S940 Opterons, but not for Socket F chips...
 02/13/2007 01:36 PM

Author Icon
elite_athlon

Won't work, different chipsets etc...

Join a real forum - http://www.compsupportforums.com/
 02/13/2007 01:51 PM

Author Icon
CharlieIsComing

it's a different number of pins for memory. doesn't it seem you need the memory to match the number of pins allowed on the board. plus why would you even try if you have the cash to buy the processors why not buy the board the board is the cheapest thing?....i think it's a waste of a 940 board and agree with zep there are easier ways to scr*w up a computer. just zap it with some static electricity and get it over with.

No advertising. Do not use this site as a redirector or gateway to another site for the purpose of collecting click income or advertising.
 02/13/2007 02:10 PM

Author Icon
mckennma

quote:

Another issue would be mounting the heatsink to the adapter securely. He will need to change mounts and screws. It could cause issues. Next, voiding the motherboard warrenty mounting a non-supported device.

Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
PCI-X SCSI RAID
 02/13/2007 02:22 PM

Author Icon
CharlieIsComing

warranty doesn't mean much if he wants to do this though so i don't know plus a non stock heatsink should fit the concept is just bad in itself

No advertising. Do not use this site as a redirector or gateway to another site for the purpose of collecting click income or advertising.
 02/13/2007 02:43 PM

Author Icon
brankob

quote:

Originally posted by: TheGuyThatKnowsNothing
it's a different number of pins for memory.

I don't think so. AFAIK DDR is has much the same signals as DDR-2. Later might have some clock signal extra or somesuch, but that seems solvable.

quote:

doesn't it seem you need the memory to match the number of pins allowed on the board.

If that was true, Socket F could never support different RAM technologies. But it isn't.

quote:

plus why would you even try if you have the cash to buy the processors why not buy the board the board is the cheapest thing?....

Because board costs $400 or more and price for that adapter is probably somewhere from $10-$20.
Not to mention $ for 4 GiB of RAM on it...

quote:

i think it's a waste of a 940 board and agree with zep there are easier ways to scr*w up a computer. just zap it with some static electricity and get it over with.

Your opinion was noted.
Can anyone tell me anything at least semi_informative about documents requested ?

quote:

Another issue would be mounting the heatsink to the adapter securely. He will need to change mounts and screws. It could cause issues. Next, voiding the motherboard warrenty mounting a non-supported device.

That is really trivial issue. I bought my S2885s some 3 years ago and S2895 probably two years ago, so they are out of warranty.

Besides, even if warranty on them was still valid, they are soon to be obsolete when Barcelona comes out.
What good is warranty on obsolete part ?
 02/13/2007 02:46 PM

Author Icon
elite_athlon

Alot.

Because if you RMA it they will most likely give you the newest stepping back to you.

Join a real forum - http://www.compsupportforums.com/
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information