Increase font size
Topic Title: 1207-FX and Barcelona
Topic Summary: OcotCore build possible?
Created On: 09/12/2007 02:43 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/12/2007 02:43 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
AndrewF

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone knew if the new Barcelona chips are compatible with Asus 1207-FX Mobo. My goal is to build an OctoCore system. Any help would be great and thanks!
 09/12/2007 03:25 AM

Author Icon
vsary6968

The ASUS 1207-FX is compatible with Phenom FX, but you have to flash the bios. It also work with the Shanhai core, but not sure. But for the OctoCore, It possible it might work because they have not release the update on the OctoCore yet. For sure is that the OctoCore will have 128m L1 cache for each core, 1Mb of L2 cache core each core, and 3mb of L3 cache. Also have DDR3 support with only Register DDR3 only.This will not be release until the middle of 2008.This is call "Denab FX" for FX version and for the Server is call "Bulldozer".But bulldozer will feature DDR3 Register memory only. Also 1mb of L2 cache for each core and 6mb of L3 cache total of 12mb of cache. It might not be ready until 2009 with the support of SSE5. Remembe Shanghai also support SSE5 as well and also support DDR3 only. And I don't think Shanghai will support ASUS-1207 -FX because they move to DDR3 memory.This microprocessor will be a flying one. I think I will wait until that come and I can wait for it.
 09/12/2007 03:30 AM

Author Icon
AndrewF

Register memory...crud. on Neweggs/Asus description of the 1207-FX. It says Non-registered DDR2 memory for the FX version, but the standard 1207 IS register memory DDR2.

Basically the standard 1207 Mobo is a straight up server Mobo while the FX version was designed for gaming in mind.

Edited: 09/12/2007 at 03:31 AM by AndrewF
 09/14/2007 01:55 PM

Author Icon
redwine

um hi, it will work... just not sure how well.. and the difference in features like split path way thing for memory.. but isnt that what dual cpus for amd always do anyways.. split memory to each cpu.. right the manuals says you have too in order to get 2 cpus to work,,,,,
http://openresourcecommunity.c...sk=view&id=6&Itemid=1
a source that might help.. yay it should work.. question is at what a loss compared to the phenom that will come out for it??????????
leading me to find a good decent sli board that is read for barcelona.. i dont need backplanes or anything fancy like scsi or sas.. sata raid works like a charm.. and the option of 12 was nice.. but i can settle for 6+2 or 4+2 depending on board, think i was looking at a nice tyan... but then saw this nice asus server board with sli.. course no bios updates for sept.. meaning most likely not a nice board for barcelona...

case point do the research find the board on manu. site.. and check the bios revision date.. that will help... helps me a little..
sure would be nice just to have an all out ati amd server system.. but nvidia makes the only current chipset supporting barcelona what a bummer big bummer.....
which means ati is just a shadow.. working of poppas crumbs..
that 2900 sure is pretty.. and sure does compete.. and sure makes me want one..
but the feature of turning on sli on a board with nvidia and having it work flawlessly points me to a server board with 2 8800 somethings.. nothing less... and plenty of afk gaming on mmorpgs.. that allow such without hindering the terminals running on virtual servers.. ya its so fun..
its the only way they can keep me at work to have the "computer guy" answer phones for the "oil guy" hence its only a side job.. but i help out when more hands are needed... but theres alot of time that normally i like to play the market in game.. or shoot things in game..
trying this on a single core server.. does not work very well.. it makes the employeess go "hey is there a reason why my station slowed down>?> are you doing something i can wait " bla bla bla... i think barcelona and about 8-12 gigs of ram should cure that.. bundled with a nice top of the line video card o ya
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information