AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Tyan Thunder K8W S2885 -> Supermicro H8DCi
Topic Summary: Tips, suggestions and ideas of H8DCi and S2895 users are welcome!
Created On: 03/05/2008 08:07 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/05/2008 08:07 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
derGhostrider
Case Modder

Hi!
Back in 2003 I bought my Tyan Thunder K8W S2885 that is still unstable running 3d intense tasks like games because of the well known bug in the AMD8151 AGP-bridge. I don't play many games and it is rock solid in any case of 2d graphics or plain calculations/computing but this is an unacceptable status of the system and I want to get rid of it.

If you don't want to read the following blabla scroll down to the bold printed line...

So I decided to "upgrade" to a different board. I don't need much more power and wanted to keep as much of my hardware as possible.

Possible upgrade options were:
  • Tyan Thunder K8WE S2895
  • Supermicro H8DCi

I almost bought an S2895 but found a very good offer for the H8DCi. The benefits of the H8DCi:
  • superior hardware monitoring functionality:
    The H8DCI offers hardware monitoring of fans, voltages (CPU, chipset, memory, HT-Links) and temperatures
  • additional 4x PCI-express port (that I will not use right now but maybe in the future)
  • two additional FAN headers that I need for my 19" Rack chassis (Chenbro RM314 see signature)
  • LED header for both NICs to display LAN activity on the front of the chassis. (there are LEDs integrated in the chassis for this purpose)

Downside: I don't like the nVidia ethernet ports and would prefer to see broadcom GbE nics. Well, the Tyan S2895 offers marvell chips - no broadcom as well.
    The chipset is cooled by a small fan. These small fans tend to fail first. :-(
    The board layout of the Tyan looks a little bit better (memory on the edge of the board for both CPUs... On the other hand this may have resulted in a collision of my two Zalman CNPS7700-Cu HSFs)

The board has already been ordered. I'll keep my CPUs, memory, hardware RAID-controller for 64bit-PCI and everything else in my signature except the graphics card (of course). I'll get an old x800GTO for PCI-express from a friend.

My questions to you:
    - Do you have an H8DCi or H8DC8 (or even the Tyan S2895 as it has the same chipset)?
    - What are your experiences with the board?
    - Does someone know about interesting reviews or even comparisons between the Supermicro and the Tyan board?
    - Any known bugs?
    - Hints for replacing the onboard fan with a (better) passive cooler?
    - Any other tips and tricks!?

And of course: All other replies are welcome as well.

Thanks in advance for all replies!

-------------------------
    Regards,
      Ghostrider

·CPUs - 2*Opteron 246
    ·Mainboard - Tyan Thunder K8W S2885ANRF
    ·RAM - 4*Corsair TwinX1024RE-3200LL (4GB, 8*512MB, DDR400, 2-3-2)
    ·Graphics - HIS IceQ-II X800Pro
    ·HDD - Western Digital Raptor WD740GD, 74GB, 10k
    ·RAID - 3Ware 7850, 64bit PCI, 8chn hardware RAID
    ·RAID-HDDs - 5*WD800JB
    ·Optical - 1*SlimSize CD-ROM; 1*NEC7441 DVD-RW
    ·Sound - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite Pro

•  05/12/2008 01:28 AM

Author Icon
    Pablov

Hello mate !

I'm sorry nobody has replied to your post....

I have a Tyan K8WE S2895 and now I'm planning to buy a SuperMicro H8DCi
    -Why ?
    - Because I bought 2 Opteron 290 and have many Ram modules in the Tyan board.
    - And.. because I experienced some weird problems, that I wasn't able yet to isolate, but seemed to be an issue in the motherboard.
    The problem was the system spontaneously shutdown in some cases, when working, or when idle.

ONE IMPORTANT THING: the chipset in the Tyan K8WE (and I guess in the H8DCi too since are the same chipsets) get Very Hot.

I did a hole in the case and put a 120mm fan, aimed to the chipset area.
    That is very important, in my opinion, to get the motherboard working more stable and for longer life.

I've already have to RMA a Tyan K8WE because it got very unstable (spontaneously shutdown very often)

The RMA sent me a "repaired" (or whatever) one, but ... had an issue in 2 memory slots !!

I sent it back again and said I wanted a completely NEW board (I live outside USA and every shipping costs me a lot...) So they sent me a brand new.
    It worked fine until 2 months ago, when it started to shutdown spontaneously

I realized that the ambient temperature was bit high (25ºC or even more)
    And also realized the chipset were ALWAYS hot, even when idle. (I couldn't keep a finger on them because they were too hot !)

So I decided to place the 120mm fan, and the system appear to be much more stable.
    But it also did shutdown few times, very few, but it did.

So I'm not sure if the temperature was the cause of problem, and maybe damaged a little the board, or if it was something different.

Now I decided to buy a SuperMicro H8DCi to keep as replacement before they go away from market, I have too much hardware only compatible with these boards...

PLEASE give me your feedback about your H8DCi.

Send me a PM if possible, besides posting here.

Thank you VERY MUCH.
     05/12/2008 08:10 AM

Author Icon
    derGhostrider
    Case Modder

Hello Pablov!

At first I'll answer my own questions from above.
    Yes, the Supermicro H8DCi is worth an upgrade if you own the Tyan Thunder K8W S2885.

The H8DCi seems to have a superior fan management compared to the Tyan K8W. It's less noisy but even my old 246ers (without PowerNow!) did not reach the same temperatures. They were running cooler.
    The hardware monitoring of the H8DCi is fantastic. If one fan fails the other fans spin faster to compensate the failed one. I tested this with some of my hot-plug fans inside the 19" chassis.
    But that's not all: Not just the fans are monitored: Also the temperatures of the CPUs and the Chipset as well as the voltages of CPUs, memory and Chipset. If the voltages will drop too far or if temperatures will rise beyond the set limit the system will shut down to prevent any damages on the hardware.

Since December 2003 I had the S2885 and lots of problems with the system. Finally there was the well known AGP issue that could not be fixed so that my system was not 3d stable. I could stress the CPUs and everything else without any problems but any 3D-instense tasks caused my system to hang sooner or later.
    To test the stability of the new board I ran
    - several hours of Prime95 stress test
    - SiSoftSandra Benchmarks and Stress tests.
    - several hours the calculator (factorial of a large number. e.g.: 9999999999999999999999! to get the CPUs at 100% load)
    - more than 6 hours non-stop 3Dmark (repeat every test 20 times)
    - all 3Dmark versions from 2001SE to 2006 with MINIMUM of 4 repetitions of each test (with the K8W the system crashed with 3 or more repetitions every time)
    - games

Result: The system is rock solid!

The board (PCIe 1.0) is compatbile to a X800GTO (PCIe 1.0) and to a 8800GTS 512 (G92, PCIe 2.0)! So you should have no problem to add any graphics card that you like.
    By upgrading the graphics card the graphics performance increased by a factor of 4! Then I upgraded to new CPUs - I replaced the old 246ers with two Opteron 852s.
    Benefits of the new CPUs: 600MHz higher clockrate, SSE3, PowerNow!, E4 stepping, 90nm, 68W TDP (low power CPUs from HP-Servers, OSP... instead of OSA...).
    On idle with PowerNow! enabled the CPUs reach temperatures between 21°C and 29°C depending on the room temperature.

But take care: There is some kind of watchdog timer in ther BIOS. I had to disable it because it somehow thought that the system was hanging and caused a restart two times. After I disabled the watchdog timer this did not happen again.

The "Bank interleave mode" known from the Tyan BIOS to increase the memory performance is named "Bank swizzle mode" or something like that. It's the same.

So all in all: The system is by far better that it was before. I really like the new board. The small onboard fan isn't audible. The Chipset gets hand warm or a little bit warmer but it is not running hot.

Don't use the "nTune" Software. At least when I tried it it displayed nonsense readings (fan RPM at 22000 or even above, temperatures at ridiculous values) or it crashed - depending on the Icon that you used to start it.
    Use Supermicros "Super Doctor III" instead. It displays reasonable readings.

Please contact me if you have any further questions regarding the board. I may also upload some pictures of the board if you are interested.

Regards,
      Ghostrider

·CPUs - 2*Opteron 246
    ·RAID-HDDs - 5*WD800JB

06/03/2008 09:25 AM

Author Icon
    Pablov

Hello derGhostRider !!

well, I forgot this thread... Since I didn't get a PM I thought you didn't read my post here

Today looking for some info in google (searching for "H8DCi issue" just to see if there are some know for that board) appeared your thread again !
    but with your response that I didn't expect !! and it is very explainatory !!

Thank you very much for giving your feedback.

At this very moment I have the doubt... to buy a H8DCi or to buy H8DCE...

I think the architecture of the H8DCi is better than the H8DCE, but I don't use PCI-X and could need a PCI 32 bits instead (H8DCi only has one)
    Also the H8DCi only has 4 SATA ports, as compared to 8 the H8DCE has

The 2 nVidia chipsets in the H8DCE are connected to the CPU1, and in the H8DCi each CPU is connected to a different chipset (I like this better, maybe get lower load on the CPU)

So... I'm not sure what to buy.

The K8WE S2895A2NRF is out of stock almost everywhere

By the way: after writing the previous post, I found a review that told about the high temperatures that the chipsets run on these boards, and also mentioned a "switch off" (shuttdown to me )

The review talk about the importance of keeping these boards WELL Ventilated, with many Fans.
    The 120mm Fan I put in the side of the case, pulling air directly over the chipsets seems to be REALLY, REALLY Good to extend the life and to keep it Stable.

I wish I realized that before..

Since you have hot swap fans, I suppose you have a very well ventilation in your case, but I wanted to mention it anyway, just in case, because I found it Really important.

ONCE AGAIN, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your comments !!

Best regards.
    P.S: I did find some reports telling that H8DCE revision prior to 3 had some issues.
    ** PLEASE LET ME KNOW What Revision number is your H8DCi and Where you bought it ***

06/03/2008 10:25 AM

Author Icon
    derGhostrider
    Case Modder

Hi!

I tried to send a PM to you but the forum told me that you disabled PMs...

My board has the revision 3.02

PCI Slots: IF you already have 32bit PCI cards that do not have the required 3.3V key to fit into 64bit PCI slots you will have to buy the H8DCE or exchange that hardware.
    I could also need an additional 32bit PCI-Slot because my brand new 8800GTS 512 blocks the 32bit PCI Slot. The 64bit PCI-X slots are used by the RAID-controller (HDD cables block the next PCI-X slot) and my Soundblaster X-Fi (that is a 32bit card but it has a 3.3V key and can be plugged into any 64bit PCI-Slot.).

Slot1 (PCI-X): Soundblaster X-Fi
    Slot2 (PCI-X): blocked by cables from controller
    Slot3 (PCI-X): RAID-controller
    Slot4 (PCI-E): free
    Slot5 (32bit PCI): blocked by graphics card
    Slot6 (PCI-E): Graphics card
    Slot7 (PCI-E 4x): free

So I have two PCI-E slots usable. The TV-card had to be and has been moved to my secondary computer. Nevertheless I'm already thinking about buying a PCI-express TV card that may be plugged into slot7

8 SATA ports: Well... IF I'd insert more than two SATA-Harddrives I'd definitely build a RAID. In this case I'd need a hardware RAID-Controller (AMCC, ARECA, etc) These Controllers would be plugged into a PCI-E slot.
    The 8 SATA ports are somehow a non-issue. Even if you have a DVD-RW, a BluRay RW and two harddrives it's stimm enough to go with four ports. More harddrives may be realistic in RAID environments but then you don't really want to use the chipset controller, will you?

Take a closer look at your actual hardware and the hardware that you are planning to use in the near future!

The H8DCE has two 8x (4x wired) PCI-E and two 16x PCI-E slots. That's a good "future proof" solution. 3x 32bit PCI - if you don't own any PCI-X / 64bit PCI cards I doubt that you will buy such a card! New hardware RAID-controller are for PCI-Express. New TV-cards will be for 32bit OR PCI-Express, etc.

Maybe the H8DCE might be just the better solution for you.

Just if you are planning to use Windows Server 2003 ENTERPRISE you should take the H8DCi.
    See OS-Compatibility chart:
    http://www.supermicro.com/Aplu.../OS_Compatibility.cfm
    For all other Windows versions it should not make any difference.
    In case of Linux the H8DCE might be the better solution.

I let someone else buy the board on eBay because the American seller did not accept non-US Paypal accounts.
    The seller was "synergy1_craig"
    The auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...tem&item=350031157319
    It looks as if he has sold all these boards...

----------------

The temperatures are very high here in Germany. Up to 30°C outside. Right now my CPUs are at 28°C and 30°C on idle (while typing this post). The chipset ("System") is at 46°C.

I had no temperature issues or any other kind of stability issues with this board. It's rock solid - every day no matter what I do.

Keep me up to date which board you selected!

Regards,
      Ghostrider

·CPUs - 2*Opteron 246
    ·RAID-HDDs - 5*WD800JB

06/03/2008 07:36 PM

Author Icon
    Pablov

Hi !!

Thank you very much.
    strange about PMs, I will check it.

I did contact that e-bay seller 2 weeks ago !! lol
    but he had no more stock of H8DCE

Yes, I don't think I will buy a PCI-X card..
    H8DCE offers features more suitable for my needs, but I am not surre about its performance and reliability as compared to the H8DCi.
    I supose I could trust on H8DCE.... (the only thing I don't like is that it has both chipset connected to CPU1. The H8DCi has them to different CPUs and thus I guess load is better balanced)

Thank you very much for your response.
    At risk of being repetitive, I would like to suggest you to keep the chipset well ventilated, with good airflow cooling them.
    I had the S2895 working as rock, but over the time it became unstable, and I'm almost sure that it happened because of overheating the bad-cooled chipsets. Tyan didn't provide active cooling for them, and even when idle, they burn when you touch them.

It is a Great idea to keep as cooler as possible these 2 nvidia chipsets.
    That will extend the motherboard's life, and also keep it rock solid.

My case didn't have intake fan at the side, and the front intake fan didn't pull air over the chipset area. I found a solution as described previously. Maybe If I had done that before I never had a problem with it.

Now it seems to work fine, and stable (run memTest and Everest Stress test for hours) while the "ambient" temperature keeps just few degrees over "real ambient" room temperature
    (before putting the 120mm side fan the "ambient temp" reported was around 40ºC , more in summer)

Even though I will buy a SuperMicro before they run out of stock everywhere
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR TIME !

By the way: hoy have IMPRESSIVE hardware !!!
    I only have "standard" for 3D aplications, no Raid controller nor PCI-X or PCI-E capturing cards, just one graphic PCI-E and 2 HDDs, and "normal" EPS12V Power supply (Silverstone) ...
     06/03/2008 08:10 PM

Author Icon
    derGhostrider
    Case Modder

According to the load balacing you may be wrong because at the H8DCi the PCI-X Bridge and one of the nVidia Chips is connected to the first CPU - just the second nVidia chip that just connects the second 16x PCI-E and the second LAN (no SATA or anything else) is connected to the second CPU.

So the load balacing is somehow a non-issue. In some cases this design might even increase the traffic between the CPUs and the latencies as it has to be routed from one CPU to the other.

The chipset is active cooled with a 40mm fan. The H8DCi (and the H8DCE) comes with temperature, voltage and fan monitoring. I doubt that anything may happen as the fans are throttled and would speed up if any temperatures would get critical. If anything would reach a critical temperature the system should shut down before anything is damaged. At least that's how it is described. I hope that this will never happen. At least fan failures are reported at once at the fron (fan-fail-led) and the other fans spin faster if one fails (I tested that).
    Thanks for your warning but the chipset is well cooled (hand warm or a little bit more) but far from remarkable high.

Don't be ashamed that you just have the hardware that you need! It's a decision to buy only the stuff that you need and spend your money for better things than computers.

My hardware isn't that impressive but I'm already thinking about upgrading. Samsung announced SSDs with transferrates of 200MB/s and 256GB capacity. Would be nice as systemdrive.

Regards,
      Ghostrider

·CPUs - 2*Opteron 246
    ·RAID-HDDs - 5*WD800JB

06/03/2008 10:53 PM

Author Icon
    Pablov

Hello,

Yes,you are right, I checked the system diagram of both boards, and H8DCi has nVidia and 8132 chipsets connected to CPU1.
    So, I think there is no "load balance" problem or bottleneck if connecting the 2 nVidia chipsets to CPU1 as in H8DCE

I didn't realize about it, so it was very useful the conversation with you

I'm not ashamed about my hardware, in fact I spent all I had to buy it, and had to spent more in RMA shippings, but I still need some parts that can't afford because in my country customs duties are extremely high, and the retailers don't sell workstation's hardware here.
    I can only buy them in U.S. or eBay, or with a help of a friend living in other country.

Another REALLY HARD to get is a case compatible with eATX... They don't sale them here !

What case do you use for your system?

-PS: I coulnd't find any restriction in my PM options, i don't know why you couldn't send me one
     06/04/2008 09:33 AM

Author Icon
    derGhostrider
    Case Modder

I have a 19" rack and a 19" chassis:
    Chenbro RM314. Link: http://www.chenbro.com/corpora...ducts_cat.php?pos=16#

This Chenbro chassis is quite expensive (as everything for 19" racks) and you can't use it as a stand-alone chassis (like a tower). But there are more "common" Chieftec towers like the Chieftec BA-01
    Link: http://www.chieftec.eu/index.p...33&Itemid=242&lang=EN

I have a Chieftec "Dragon" (no eATX) for my old Tyan Tiger S2466N. These cases have a good quality. Rounded edges so that you can't cut your fingers by mounting hardware and a well working mounting system for exhaust fans, HDDs and optical drives.
    And Chieftec isn't as expensive as some other manufactors that take an arm and a leg for a simple computer case just because it looks stylish.

Regards,
      Ghostrider

·CPUs - 2*Opteron 246
    ·RAID-HDDs - 5*WD800JB

06/06/2008 07:34 AM

Author Icon
    meatling
    Lurker

Pablov,

have a look at this link: http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?t=76674 here. It reports a failure rate of about 30% for the H8DCE, and it would make me reconsider.

Best,
    -m
     06/06/2008 09:00 AM

Author Icon
    derGhostrider
    Case Modder

@Metling:

Read their postings!
    Power outtage, hard power outtage, OCed systems, PSU-failures, ...

Only some don't know or just don't mention the reason.

And don't forget: People with issues visit a forum. People that just have a perfect system are less often online to find a solution for a problem.

Regards,
      Ghostrider

·CPUs - 2*Opteron 246
    ·RAID-HDDs - 5*WD800JB

06/07/2008 04:01 AM

Author Icon
    Pablov

THIS is getting me very confused...

I already ordered the H8DCE

BTW: I enabled Private Messages (I don't know why it turned off by its own)

DerGhostRider, please I would appreciate if you explain your previous post, because my english isn't so good and I don't understand it very well.

Thanks a lot !!
     06/07/2008 04:09 AM

Author Icon
    Pablov

I forgot to mention: I knew there were some issues with Revision 1.x and 2.x, and I did read comments that tell the Rev. 3.x finally resolved them.

That's why I took hard care about the Rev. of the board when ordering it.

I can not read all the comments due to health problems (eyes related, very hard problem), so if bad or poor power supply units are the reason for failure, I wouln't consider them as board-issues.

I would appreciate if someone can get me an abstract of that thread.

Thank you very much in advance.
     06/07/2008 06:58 AM

Author Icon
    derGhostrider
    Case Modder

@Pablov:
    Some of the people suffered from power blackouts. So in their street or block the electrical power was gone. These "outages", "blackouts" or how ever you want to call them (just different words for the same effect) may also cause voltage spikes, current pulses or other abnormal behavior on the current lines. These may harm your refrigerator, heating, TV-set or your computer. In their cases it was (at least) the computer that was harmed.
    So it wasn't a plain board failure - it was caused by an external reason.

As you said it with defective PSUs: If the PSU is defective and kills the board it's caused by the PSU and not by the board. I did not read all the postings, but many of the "failed boards" seem to be destroyed by other reasons.

One mentioned that he had overclocked his system. Well, OCing means that you push hardware beyond its specifications. You never know what will happen. That person did not mention what he really did, how much he boosted the voltages to get the system stable, etc. If an overclocked system fails you can't say that the board was defective - maybe it would have worked flawlessly for years without the overclocking.

And there is the fact that if 1000 people buy this board and 990 won't have any issues most of these 990 people won't ever visit a forum to post anything about their system. Why should they? Their system is working as it should. Just people with problems or additional questions (something doesn't seem to work, stability issues, other board related questions that are not listed in the manual) will search online for others that have the same hardware and post their experiences.

So if you find approximately 30% in that special thread that mention problems you cannot assume that 30% of all boards tend to fail! Just 30% of the people that are within the group of the people that already had problems or additional questions may have had problems....
    AND: Within these 30% there are many people that killed their boards themselves by missing knowledge, there are dead boards that have been destroyed by defective PSU, there are dead boards that have been destroyed by the power blackouts, etc.

The remaining amount of defective boards by simple hardware defects seems to be small.

Regards,
      Ghostrider

·CPUs - 2*Opteron 246
    ·RAID-HDDs - 5*WD800JB

06/07/2008 06:02 PM

Author Icon
    Pablov

Dear DerGhostRider,

Thank you very much for really clear and logical explanation.

I agree with all that you say.

I didn't realize what "OCed" mean in your previous post, sorry, now it's clear, I do know overclocking, and never would do that to a so expensive system because its value and because I want it to be Stable more than getting a 10% (or whatever) improvement in performance.

Thank you very much for your answers.
    That reminds me I have tu replace my UPS (the battery is almost dead)
    and as I mentioned before, I take specific care of cooling the board, specially the chipset (and CPU and Ram of course!) because I guess it helps to extend the hardware's lifetime (specially when it tends to get hot. The cooler, the longer lifetime, it's my opinion)

Thank you very much once again.
    Best regads !
     07/08/2008 12:00 AM

Author Icon
    Pablov

Dear DerGhostRider:

I am having troubles with my new H8DCE
    It does not boot, just make 1 beep when power is on, and after 3 seconds (aprox.) it makes a beep again and shutdown.

Techsupport told me that could be a power supply related issue.

The PS I am using is a SILVERSTONE ST75F ATX12V / EPS12V 750W Power Supply
    Wich should be enough to feed the board with the CPUs and 1 Ram module.
    The lower test was using:
    1 Opteron 250
    1 Ram module
    1 nVidia Quadro FX4500
    1 power supply as described
    No other drives or accesories.

Please let me know what Power Supply (brand and model) do you use with your H8DCi ? (and what CPUs is running now? )

If you find a list of Power Supplies compatibles with the H8DCE PLEASE let me know to check, because in my country I can not (believe it or not) an EPS12V Power supply... so I can't check either... If I buy one, I have to import from other country with no chance to test it first nor to devolution.....

I will thank any infor regarding this point, especially a compatibility list of PSU with H8DCE

Thanks a lot !!!
     07/12/2008 01:48 AM

Author Icon
    Pablov

Update:

In case someone need info about this:
    SuperMicro Tech Support told me that for the long term they recommend to use the recommended Power Supply for this motherboard (wich comes in the chassis:
    http://www.supermicro.com/prod.../4U/743/SC743T-645.cfm )

You can also buy only the power supply on some retailers.

After some test I got the board booting up with a Silverstone STRIDER ST60F (not with the ST75F, which seems to work fine with other Tyan S2895 systems)
    So the whole thing it's a Power Supply related problem, as Ken Yu initially suggested.

The specs of the recommended SuperMicro Power Supply are:

SuperMicro 645W Low-Noise AC power supply with PFC
    [ 24-pin, (4-pin, 8-pin) = 12V ]
    AC Voltage * 100 - 240V, 50 - 60Hz, 11 - 5Amp

DC Output * 5V + 3.3V ? 160W
    +5V * 30.0 Amp
    +5V standby * 4.0 Amp
    +12V * 46.0 Amp
    -12V * 0.6 Amp
    +3.3V * 30.0 Amp

The "+5V standby" in this SuperMicro PSU is 4A
    but in my ST75F is only 3A and that could be the reason for the system to shutdown after some seconds (the more hardware connected, the faster the system shutdowns)

And after reading so many people having troubles with this board due to Power Supplies and power blackouts, etc, I decided to get the recommended Power Supply to ensure the maximum durability possible.

Thanks to the SuperMicro Tech Support (Ken Yu) for his really fast and detailed assistance!

Best Regards.

EDITED:
    IMPORTANT!!
    The "bad" point of this PSU is that it has NO SATA and NO PCI-E Connectors.

But is the Recommended by SuperMicro, and has a good quality design, one +12V powerful rail and it can gives some peace of mind

If you plan to use extremely high consumption multiple video cards, then you might need to verify if 645W will be enough for you.

Anyway, protect it with an UPS...

Edited: 07/23/2008 at 06:46 AM by Pablov
     07/29/2008 10:11 PM

Author Icon
    brane212

I have used 2885 and 2895 and really feel the need to hand it to you: You have really high tolerance ( or preference ?? ) for pain.

Why on the earth would anyone really be looking around to get that c**p ?

Even if one limits himself to AMD side of the fence, there are plenty of other, better choices.

Yes, you might have the need for PCI-X slots or ECC RAM etc, but there will be more modern boards for filling that need and if one is in a hurry, he can get a decent Intel based board now.

But other than that, existing Phenom boards are much better performancewise, not to mention new CPUs.

One good board for Phenom can run circles around that mastodont.
    Not only that, but these kind of low-cost boards tend to be more polished and their bugs addressed more quickly.
    Statistics
    112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
    There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information