Increase font size
Topic Title: Strange temperature problem with Opteron CPU
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/07/2009 10:49 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/07/2009 10:49 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Friendly Bomb

I have a 3 year old system with an Opteron 146 CPU

The system freezes for 5-10 seconds every 15 minutes,this has been happening for a couple of months

I used Hardware Monitor Pro to make a log of system temps etc while the system was idle

Everything looked normal apart from CPU core temp.This was around 27c.But every 15 minutes the core temp would spike to 35c for a few seconds

CPU fan speed is fairly constant,no drops showing in log.Same for MB temps,voltages.I have a new PSU,this problem happened with the old one also

I have 3 hard drives and up to date anti virus so its not that

Does it look like the CPU is on the way out?

Thanks for any advice
 04/07/2009 12:11 PM

Author Icon
go_for
Alpha Geek

Based on the info you just provided, it does not look like CPU is one the way out, problem is elsewhere. What motherboard is it in and is it the stock HSF? Some motherboards are not able to report CPU temp correctly with an Opteron CPU (socket s939). Try how the behaviour changes with and without Cool'nQuiet enaled. You can load test with OCCT v3.0 and use CoreTemp to monitor the CPU temp. OCCT also reports temp, an should be within 1-2 degree equal to CoreTemp.

-------------------------

Edited: 04/07/2009 at 12:54 PM by go_for
 04/08/2009 08:29 AM

Author Icon
Friendly Bomb

Thanks for the reply

Core Temp was very helpful and using it I found that the problem is caused by something using 100% of CPU every 15 minutes.Checking task manager I found it is Kaspersky Internet Security

Now I just have to find out why
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information