Increase font size
Topic Title: Dual 2384, No POST
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/18/2009 04:41 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
Answer This question was answered by server_d, on Sunday, April 26, 2009 9:01 PM

Answer:
For the record, there is a way to tell what BIOS is on a new motherboard. You need to remove the top sticker (which in my case says AMIBIOS etc.etc.) and underneath it was another (previously hidden) sticker with the version of the BIOS. Indeed, mine was shipping with 2.0.2 which does not recognize the Shanghai processors. Rather than hunt down a Barcelona, I've ordered a new one from BIOSMAN -- an outfit that was recommended by Tyan.
 04/18/2009 04:41 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
server_d

I have a brand-new build with a Tyan Thunder n3600M s2932 - (PN #S2932G2NR-E). For CPUs I have two AMD 2384 (quad core 2.7Ghz). I have 1 stick of 4GB ECC Reg 800Mhz DRAM per CPU.

I've tried all combinations of ram and cpus and cannot get the thing to POST. The LED indicator on the mobo starts as FF then goes to D0 and then the thing hangs.... Fans work, drives spin up, but no video, and no beeps.

Using a brand new Antec Quattro 1000W PSU.

If I boot without any CPU or memory it just flashes "FF"...so I know it is recognizing the CPU at some level. If I boot with a CPU and no memory I get the same "FF D0" hang...

Any suggestions? Must be either the mobo, the type of memory, or a bad PSU. I have no cards hooked up...nothing. Tried attaching a USB keyboard and mouse...nothing. Tried attaching a SATA drive...nothing.

I can't check or upgrade the BIOS, because I get no video and no boot! Grasping at straws here...
 04/18/2009 05:30 PM

Author Icon
austinbike

You need to have at least BIOS version 2.03 to recoginze the shanghai processors.

Can you get your hands on some older barcelona processors to see if it can boot?

If you can't, check with Tyan to see if there is a ROM chip that you can get (I know some tyan products have replaceable ROMs.)

If you are sure it has at least 2.03 then I don't know what to say.
 04/18/2009 06:35 PM

Author Icon
server_d

Thanks for the quick answer. I'll get my hands on a barcelona and try that. I wish there was a way to tell what version of the BIOS it shipped with...a sticker or anything!
 04/26/2009 09:01 PM

Author Icon
server_d

Answer Answer
For the record, there is a way to tell what BIOS is on a new motherboard. You need to remove the top sticker (which in my case says AMIBIOS etc.etc.) and underneath it was another (previously hidden) sticker with the version of the BIOS. Indeed, mine was shipping with 2.0.2 which does not recognize the Shanghai processors. Rather than hunt down a Barcelona, I've ordered a new one from BIOSMAN -- an outfit that was recommended by Tyan.
 05/09/2009 12:15 AM

Author Icon
Obi-Wan Kenobi

such things are just why I prefer a socketed bios chip then you are always on the safe side, all the gamer boards have a problem, their bios chips are soldered , it would be hard to replace these after the waranty heh and I had a very bad experience in that sector and now using 2P setups for my Vid to HD DivX converting to real time flight simulations everything goes alot better faster and much more stable.

Anyways use a PLCC Bios extractor tool to remove the bios chip. these things can evade damage to the chip it's self, just an advice there, I have met lads that used a screw driver and their results weren't so bright.

-------------------------
Sveta: Dual OpteronDP 248 CG, 2x 1024MB PC-3200 ECC Reg Kingston Value Ram, MSI MS-9130 K8T Master2-FAR
Firefox: Dual OpteronDP 285 E6, 4x 1024MB PC-3200 ECC Reg Kingston Value Ram, ASUS K8N DL
Blue-Leader: Dual OpteronDP 2380 C2, 4x 4096MB PC2-6400 ECC Reg Kingston Value Ram, Supermicro H8DAE-2
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information