AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Opteron 8way on 2way. Or otherwise Socket F from dual to quad
Topic Summary: Compatibility to going to Shanghai and using a 8way on 2way system.
Created On: 08/26/2010 06:42 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/26/2010 06:42 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
potentiality
Lurker

I have a HP DL145 g3.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizs...9755&prodTypeId=15351

I read that HP does not support officially support upgrade to quad core, but I did not read anything saying it couldnt be done.

So I have taken the chance. However, it is not working and it may be for three reasons.

1. I have put a 8376 HE into it (found an amazing deal for one with resale would still most likely loose me nothing financially).

What little information I found on the 8000 vs 2000 was simply that the 8000 can be used for 4 and 8 way servers. While the 2000 could only be used on 2 way. I saw nothing stipulating the 8 way was limited to an 8 way system.

Is this wrong? Does the 8000 series require having a system with at least 4 cpus and or at least 4 installed to initiate? Or rather the 2way system isn't understanding the extra pathways of the 8way and not initializing?

2. The Server uses the ServerWorks HT2100 and HT1000 which from what little I can find seems to imply it would not be limited to a dual core generation2 cpu. So I went with a Shanghai with the corresponding 6400 memory.

"AMD Opteron Revision F (Rev F) processors, introduced in 2006, support quad-core upgradeability. Quad-core upgradeability means that Revision F sockets are pin-compatible with and will support quad-core processors within the same power and thermal envelopes. The upgrade strategy for Rev F servers is outlined in Table 1-2.

Table 1-2. ProLiant server platforms that can be upgraded to quad-core AMD Opteron Rev F processors"
DL145 G3
End of life, no upgrade available. "

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/d...1452285/c01452285.pdf

The thing is it stipulates it should be pin compatible and makes no mention of needing any bios upgrade on any of the servers that were not EOL. So I have assumed its at your own risk.

Is this wrong? Is there something I'm missing with my logic? Is there more changes between g2 and g3 Opterons that require a newer chipset than the broadcom and or a bios?

3. I was sold a dud. Unlikely but not unheard of.

Any help or insite would help. I would if at all possible want to use a Shanghai, and I hope possibly its #1 and simply the 8way 8000 can only work correctly in a system built for 4-8 cpus. If its number 2 then I will have to fall back to getting an older generation dual core with a higher rating that currently.

Either way the sooner I have the correct information the sooner I can resell what I have currently and get the correct item up and running.

Thanks
 08/27/2010 09:22 AM

Author Icon
gshv
B1FF

1. There is no limit for minimum amount of processors for 8xxx Opterons. You can use it in 1-way servers in you want to.

2. Quad-cores are based on new micro-architecture, and they require BIOS update. Since your processor doesn't post, I tend to think that the problem is related to [2] (BIOS doesn't support the CPU), than [3] (Dead CPU).

Gennadiy
 08/27/2010 10:12 AM

Author Icon
potentiality
Lurker

I thought so. The only reason I thought it wasn't bios because all the AMD systems they listed did not need a new bios. But then of course they were not "eol". Sounds like I choose the wrong company to go with if HP cant be bothered to release a simple bios.

So the only course at this point is sounding like trying to see if there is a custom bios somewhere out in the wild for the dl145 g3.... Or going with the older revision. Not cool.

Thanks for your reply though.
 08/29/2010 02:13 PM

Author Icon
potentiality
Lurker

I might have missed a step and I will be verifying but I found a tyan server with updated bios with same chipset including for six core. I think I added it correctly to this bios and reflashed and its still not posting with the CPU (though it did flash correctly and will post with old).

Let me ask. Does the bios specifically need instructions for 8000 series? In that. More than a generic say "shanghai" since these are two way servers, the bios doesnt have the support to understand 8 way as it needs specific micro code for these that normally are not included unless the bios for the server in question is a 4way or 8 way.

In other words have people on here successfully put 8000 cpus into 1way and 2 way servers? Or its just in theory that it should work?
 08/30/2010 09:12 PM

Author Icon
gshv
B1FF

I haven't used it in 1P and 2P motherboards personally, but I know a guy who did it.

Gennadiy
 04/22/2011 07:41 PM

Author Icon
Datto
Lurker

Did you ever get dual quad-core processors to work properly with a DL145 G3 server?

I'm running into the same thing you did -- with 2x quad-core CPUs installed (AMD 2347 CPUs) the server won't boot. This is with the latest July 2007 BIOS. Server boots and operates normally with 2218 CPUs. Thanks.

Datto
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information