I've got an Opteron 180 that recently started doing something strange. I was gaming when everything got laggy and FPS dropped way off. I exited the game and the computer still seemed laggy so I checked the task manager. There are 2 graphs in there showing core activity. The one on the left is hardly reading anything, which you would expect for a computer with no applications running. The one on the right, however, is cranking non-stop at 80-100%. I've seen the problem pop up in 2 different games and last night it popped up right in the middle of a spyware scan. All virus and spyware scans come up clean. The problem may start the minute you start a game.....or may not appear until after an hour or two of gaming. Once it starts it continues, even though there aren't any applications running (task manager system idle process = 99), until I reboot. After rebooting everything is back to normal, but it may start again when I start an application. Any ideas what's causing it and how to fix it? Thanks.
Additional info: I did a hardware update a few weeks ago which may (although I don't understand how it would cause this problem) have some bearing on this.
I changed the power supply from an Antec Truepower 480W to a Thermaltake Toughpower XT 875W and changed the video card from a GTS8800 512 to a GTX285.
Thanks for the link go_for. I ran Process Explorer and it tells me that "Hardware Interrupts" & "Deferred Procedure Calls" are causing the problem. I'll try reseating the video card and reinstalling the drivers and see if it helps.
Reseated card and reinstalled drivers......didn't fix the problem. When I swapped video card and power supply a few weeks ago, I also removed a DVD-ROM & CD/RW (both IDE) and installed a DVD/RW (SATA). Think that might be involved in this?
Looks like the problem may be solved. Disconnected the DVD-RW and ran ARMA2 yesterday for over 7 hours without a problem. Reconnected the DVD-RW today to a different SATA port on the MB and ran ARMA2 for over 8 hours without a problem. I guess it just didn't like the port it was connected to.
Thanks for the assistance go_for, I appreciate it!
Just to clarify a little bit after some more digging; in my Device Manager, there are two ADMA controllers and I guess they act like primary and secondary IDE channels (1 channel for hard drives, the other for optical drives). There wasn't anything in the MB documentation explaining this or explaining which SATA connectors went to which ADMA controller so when I originally connected the DVD I unknowingly put it on the same ADMA controller as my hard drive. When I reconnected it to a different SATA connector it also connected it to the other ADMA controller and the problem was gone. This was a case of a lack of knowledge on my part and a lack of information in the MB documentation combining to create a problem.