Increase font size
Topic Title: 1 core running at 80-100% for no apparent reason
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/04/2010 05:45 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/04/2010 05:45 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Madman01
Lurker

I've got an Opteron 180 that recently started doing something strange. I was gaming when everything got laggy and FPS dropped way off. I exited the game and the computer still seemed laggy so I checked the task manager. There are 2 graphs in there showing core activity. The one on the left is hardly reading anything, which you would expect for a computer with no applications running. The one on the right, however, is cranking non-stop at 80-100%. I've seen the problem pop up in 2 different games and last night it popped up right in the middle of a spyware scan. All virus and spyware scans come up clean. The problem may start the minute you start a game.....or may not appear until after an hour or two of gaming. Once it starts it continues, even though there aren't any applications running (task manager system idle process = 99), until I reboot. After rebooting everything is back to normal, but it may start again when I start an application. Any ideas what's causing it and how to fix it? Thanks.

Additional info: I did a hardware update a few weeks ago which may (although I don't understand how it would cause this problem) have some bearing on this.

I changed the power supply from an Antec Truepower 480W to a Thermaltake Toughpower XT 875W and changed the video card from a GTS8800 512 to a GTX285.

Edited: 10/05/2010 at 11:37 AM by Madman01
 10/05/2010 03:50 PM

Author Icon
go_for
Alpha Geek

If it repeats itself, do a check with Process Explorer to check what process keeps the CPU busy.

Perhaps a time for chipset and VGA driver reinstall, in case the vga card change got something.

-------------------------
 10/06/2010 09:38 AM

Author Icon
Madman01
Lurker

Thanks for the link go_for. I ran Process Explorer and it tells me that "Hardware Interrupts" & "Deferred Procedure Calls" are causing the problem. I'll try reseating the video card and reinstalling the drivers and see if it helps.
 10/06/2010 10:34 AM

Author Icon
go_for
Alpha Geek

"Hardware Interrupts" & "Deferred Procedure Calls"

Usually caused by additional hardware together with a missing or corrupted driver install.

10/07/2010 12:03 AM

Author Icon
Madman01
Lurker

Reseated card and reinstalled drivers......didn't fix the problem. When I swapped video card and power supply a few weeks ago, I also removed a DVD-ROM & CD/RW (both IDE) and installed a DVD/RW (SATA). Think that might be involved in this?
 10/07/2010 01:14 PM

Author Icon
go_for
Alpha Geek

well, you can pull out some extra stuff, one by one and see if it settles, or consider a clean re-install, maybe even a repair install will cure it.

10/08/2010 01:40 PM

Author Icon
Madman01
Lurker

Not much in there to pull out, but I'll try that first. Thanks.
 10/09/2010 11:57 PM

Author Icon
Madman01
Lurker

Looks like the problem may be solved. Disconnected the DVD-RW and ran ARMA2 yesterday for over 7 hours without a problem. Reconnected the DVD-RW today to a different SATA port on the MB and ran ARMA2 for over 8 hours without a problem. I guess it just didn't like the port it was connected to.

Thanks for the assistance go_for, I appreciate it!

Just to clarify a little bit after some more digging; in my Device Manager, there are two ADMA controllers and I guess they act like primary and secondary IDE channels (1 channel for hard drives, the other for optical drives). There wasn't anything in the MB documentation explaining this or explaining which SATA connectors went to which ADMA controller so when I originally connected the DVD I unknowingly put it on the same ADMA controller as my hard drive. When I reconnected it to a different SATA connector it also connected it to the other ADMA controller and the problem was gone. This was a case of a lack of knowledge on my part and a lack of information in the MB documentation combining to create a problem.

Edited: 10/10/2010 at 12:12 PM by Madman01
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information