Increase font size
Topic Title: CPU overheating
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/23/2010 06:03 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/23/2010 06:03 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
musicistabest
Lurker

Hello this is my first post here so I hope you can help me. I bought a Rackable server 2U with 2 AMD Opteron 250's, it is a dual CPU server and The CPU's are located at the front and back of the server and the one at the back keeps overheating I watch it in the bios it starts of a 40 and just climbs up to about 90 and shuts off the server I reapplied the thermal paste but it did nothing I am lost and don't know what to do now I also tested the voltages but they are all normal.
 10/24/2010 08:45 AM

Author Icon
MU_Engineer
Dr. Mu

I'd try blowing all of the dust off the heatsinks and fans first, and then go into the BIOS and make sure the fans are all running at full speed. The next step would be to get a better heatsink for the second CPU.

-------------------------
 10/24/2010 10:06 AM

Author Icon
musicistabest
Lurker

Thanks for your reply there is no dust on the heat sink or fans and the fan is running at 6851RPM. I also tried reapplying the thermal paste it helped a little but not much and I don't know what heat sink to replace it with.
 10/24/2010 10:20 AM

Author Icon
MU_Engineer
Dr. Mu

I'd suggest a 2U active heatsink instead of the passive heatsink you likely have in your unit. It sounds like the second CPU may not be getting enough airflow from the fans to properly cool itself, so a heatsink with a fan directly attached to it would be better. Something like the Dynatron F557 or Thermaltake CLS0013 should work well for you.

10/24/2010 10:47 AM

Author Icon
musicistabest
Lurker

Thank you for replying I have added a Picture of the server I just want to know will they fit if I get a different one (in the picture it is the one further away from the Exhaust fans).
 10/24/2010 02:16 PM

Author Icon
MU_Engineer
Dr. Mu

Originally posted by: musicistabest

Thank you for replying I have added a Picture of the server I just want to know will they fit if I get a different one (in the picture it is the one further away from the Exhaust fans).

Those are Dynatron 1U active heatsinks, either A71Gs or T71Gs. You could try to blow out the blower fan in your heatsinks as those designs tend to accumulate dust. If that still doesn't work, getting a 2U active heatsink like one of the ones I listed above would help quite a bit since they can dissipate more heat more easily.

02/04/2011 02:29 AM

Author Icon
kheper

It appears that the fans are connected to the jacks on the motherboard. I suggest that you get 3 to 4 pin adapters, and connect the fans to 4 pin molex connectors from the power supply. The fans will run at full speed, and they won't be throttled down by the motherboard. My 280 Opteron temps averaged 64C with 3 pin connectors, but they now average 50C with the 4 pin adapters.

If that does not work, you could attach 80mmx80mm case fans to the heatsinks by brackets (or even directly to the heatsinks with superglue).
 03/06/2012 05:56 AM

Author Icon
Rodger Hooks
Lurker

Hey friend,

Thank you for your valuable suggestion, Any tips, Overheating of the CPU caused by a temperature problem is definitely a bad sign as it can destroy the processor and can cause instabilities in the hardware of the system. This can lead to it rebooting as well. The temperature of the processor depends on the brand and model type and one should be aware of it to avoid inadvertent problems,

Thanks
Rodger Hooks
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information