Increase font size
Topic Title: System stability
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/28/2003 10:18 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/28/2003 10:18 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Wildgoose1uk

Hi

Glad I found this forum!!

I have just upgraded my system from:

Athlon 1gig
512 SDRAM
30 gig hd
80gig hd partioned 60/20
nvidea mx2 64mb
win XP pro

Upgraded to:
Asus m/board
2400XP
512mb DDR RAM
Win XP Pro

System has been unstable ever since. The message I get is:

Windows could not start because the file c:\windows\system32\config\system file is missing or corrupt.

In the end I even did a full format on the C drive and reinstalled xp pro. Just as I had finished installing the drivers and rebooring after installing the virusscanner the same thing happened again!

I spoke to the shop that did the upgrade and they suggest lowering the clock speed from 133 to 120 or maybe 100.

Not convinced this is the right answer and any input would be most gratefully received.

Thx
 11/28/2003 10:53 AM

Author Icon
Wildgoose1uk

OOps... sorry. Wrong forum.
 11/28/2003 11:08 AM

Author Icon
pcy

The Q was re-posted to the correct forum while I was writing this reply.

I have re-posted this reply to the the thread in XP troubleshooting.

So this message can be deleted.

Peter

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

Wrong Forum... this is for Opterons, but never mind. I'm sure the Mods will move the thread.

No, reducing the FSB is not the right answer. It might work, but that's not the point.

First, that's quite an upgrade. Looks like a new base machine, but you moved a lot of the ancillory stuff accross.

Second, it looks as if you just ran the same OS as before, without a re-install. But the OS will have mobo specific drivers in it, you can't expect that to work. Sometimes you can get away with it, but.... The shop SHOULD have known that. Do you know wheter or not they re-installed XP.

I see you eventually did re-install XP, but it did not help.

Did you use the old case and PSU? Is it up to the job? I have never had a problem that could be traced back to an insufficient PSU, but other people here have different experience, so this is something to consider.

I'd suspect RAM. If RAM is faulty it can make files look corrupt when they aren't. The shop is right in one respect - drop the FSB to 100 and see if the machine will boot and is stable. If so, then clearly the file is present, and not corrupt, so the problem is hardware.

Which would appear to be their responsibility!

If you can't get it to boot, re-install XP with the FSB at 100Mhz. The install could indeed be corrupt if the machine is not reliable at 133Mhz.

Post again to say whether you can get the machine to work at any FSB speed, and what the best speed is, and we'll take it from there.

Peter
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information