Increase font size
Topic Title: Newbie in the MP world
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/18/2005 07:51 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/18/2005 07:51 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
noelmn

Good morning,

My company has recently decided to upgrade our SQL (presently SQL 2000 SP3 - Standard / W2K3 Server SP1 - Standard on a single Xeon 3.06GHz / 4GB Ram) box to a Dual Opteron 252 / 8GB REG PC3200 Ram (divided eaually between the processors) in a Compaq DL385 box. It will use a standard SQL drive confiuration: 2X36GB 15K Ultra 320 Raid 1+0 for the OS, 2X146GB 15K Ultra 320 Raid 1+0 for the DB and 2X72GB 15K Ultra 320 Raid 1+0 for the Logs. The 385 will be a dedicated SQL box for the company ERP (NAVISION front end) as well as the data source for Commerce Server 2000 SP2 - Standard. The CS 2000 is on a seperate box. We wil install the 64 bit W2K3 Server - Standard when our license arrives and then U/G to SQL 2005 when it becomes available in couple of weeks.

Now, when I was informed of this, I just nodded my head like a good little Systems Admin would and said, "Great, I'll take care it."

Truth is I'm scrambling like crazy trying to get all the information I can to make sure the performance increase they expect is realized. So, although this isn't a "troubleshooting" issue per se, nor do I expect any detailed configuration proceedures, I would greatly appreciate hearing from anybody that has possibly used this sort of environment and I'd be especially interested if anybody could point me toward any resources they are aware that deals with this kind of setup.

Meanwhile, back to the WEB to do more reasearch.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce
 11/29/2005 08:49 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Bitey
Elite

The only thing I can think of is make sure acpi 2.0 is enabled in the bios as well as any other NUMA stuff as well as have node interleaving of memory disabled in the bios. These setting should ensure each CPU uses it local memory by preference effectively doubling your memory performance in the right circumstance.

However if you SQL database exists totally in memory the above might not help performance.

But for more general help , I would have a good look at the processor section on the AMD.COM site. When you follow the links to opteron server CPU's you shoulf find a bucnh of white papers/documentations and links on using opterns in a server situation.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information