Increase font size
Topic Title: Dual opteron 244 xp pro setup
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/12/2005 12:10 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/12/2005 12:10 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
yanniscaptain

My system:

Tyan S2895
2 X Opteron 244
1Gb RAm
2 X SATA Samsung 200GB
Gigabyte 128MB

My problem :

Not satisfied with XP PRO stability at all,crashes a lot.I just bought it so i would like to set it up from scratch(format).Unfortunately i need step by step guidance so if anyone can suggest a link,topic e.t.c. that can help WILL BE REALLY APPRECIATED...
 09/12/2005 12:55 PM

Author Icon
martinmooy

QUOTE(yanniscaptain @ Sep 12 2005, 06:10 PM)My system:

Tyan S2895
2 X Opteron 244
1Gb RAm
2 X SATA Samsung 200GB
Gigabyte 128MB

My problem :

Not satisfied with XP PRO stability at all,crashes a lot.I just bought it so i would like to set it up from scratch(format).Unfortunately i need step by step guidance so if anyone can suggest a link,topic e.t.c. that can help WILL BE REALLY APPRECIATED...
[right][snapback]501186[/snapback][/right]

two gi bite memory not one
 09/13/2005 10:25 AM

Author Icon
derGhostrider
Case Modder

Did you install the newest drivers for the chipset?
Did you try to run memtest and/or Prime95 to test your memory?
What PSU are you using?
What are the temps of your system idle / full load (after at least 20mins)?

Oh - sorry, I just realized that you want to do a fresh install... Hmmm... I think there is nothing very special to take care about. I'd recommend that you prepare a floppy with the newest version of your SATA drivers for the setup and (if you don't have it already) integrate SP2 for XP on the installation CD.
I also recommend that you download ALL new versions of drivers BEFORE you do a fresh install. (Graphics card, onboard components like Network chips, SATA, Sound, anti-virus program and actual definitions, Windows security patches that are released since SP2 is out - they have "SP3" in their name,...) If you format you harddrives completely: Burn them on a CD. If you have a second partition and won't delete the second partition: Save it there. This way you won't have to go online before your system is up to date in terms of security.

Install XP as usual, maybe you need to hit F6 during the setup to load the SATA drivers from the disk you prepared before.
Install chipset drivers next. New chipset drivers should guarantee the best stability.
Install the downloaded security patches. (see note1 below)
Then the graphics card drivers and monitor INF to get a nice picture to continue.
Next should be the anti virus software - you may even put it directly after the chipset drivers - that's up to you.
After that it's up to you what to do next. Maybe a personal firewall

note1: The installation of many security patches can be easier by copying all to one folder. Access this folder in a dos box and type
dir /b >patch.txt
This will write all filenames from the patches into the file patch.txt. Edit the file and add " -n -z -q" after each patch. It's for no questions, no restart, no backup of the old files. (You don't need a backup of old files during a fresh installation! You will never uninstall these patches and if the installation fails at this early point you should repeat the installation of the OS from the beginning.)
Save the file, rename it to patch.bat and run the file to patch your system.
If you want to have a log file for errors you should try to start it like this:
patch >logfile.txt
All output should be written in the logfile.txt

note2: Even if you want to reinstall you may try to check your memory BEFORE doing all that work. So get memtest86 and Prime95 and stress your system with these tools. Memtest will take some hours for a complete run but this is OK. If both run for several hours without problems you have a good reason to be sure that your memory is OK.
Check the temperatures of your system as well. Has dust covered the CPU heatsink? In dusty environments this may lead to rising temperatures after a few months. Clean it carefully if necessary.

-------------------------
Regards,
  Ghostrider

·CPUs - 2*Opteron 246
·Mainboard - Tyan Thunder K8W S2885ANRF
·RAM - 4*Corsair TwinX1024RE-3200LL (4GB, 8*512MB, DDR400, 2-3-2)
·Graphics - HIS IceQ-II X800Pro
·HDD - Western Digital Raptor WD740GD, 74GB, 10k
·RAID - 3Ware 7850, 64bit PCI, 8chn hardware RAID
·RAID-HDDs - 5*WD800JB
·Optical - 1*SlimSize CD-ROM; 1*NEC7441 DVD-RW
·Sound - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite Pro

09/13/2005 11:34 AM

Author Icon
Flintstone

Which bios are you running? If you upgraded to 1.01T, there is a note on Tyan's bios pagefor this rev that you'll have to reinstall the OS due to different chip drivers for the SATA and also different drivers needed from the nVidia site for their chips.

You say you just bought it. Did you buy it assembled and "running" or did you just put it together?

I agree with everything Ghost said, but for these bios issues. Some have said that the 1.01T has screwed up their system and gone back to 1.01 and alls well.

If, after all else fails and even we can't help you, Tyan's Tech support is some of the finest I have found.

Good Luck,

Flint

-------------------------
2 X 250 "E" Opterons, S2895 A2NRF (K8WE) beta bios 1.01T
4 X(2x 512MB Matched) Corsair 3200 Reg ECC(TWINX1024RE-3200LLPT)
nVidia 6800GT, LSI 320-2X U320 Raid (512MB ram Onboard!!)
7 X 15,000 RPM U320 Drives, XP Pro SP2
PC Power & Cooling 850 SSI
IT WORKS!!! AND IT'S TYAN'S TECH SUPPORT THAT DID IT!!!!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information