Increase font size
Topic Title: Opteron 275/PoweNow Fails
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/16/2005 08:38 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/16/2005 08:38 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Tsotsi

I have two new machines that are very similar. Both Tyan 2891 MB’s, Corsair Reg Memory, Hitachi 500gig HD’s. Except the one machine runs 2 x Opteron 275’s and the other 2 x Opteron 265’s. The 265 machine is working 100%. The 275 machine is a problem. Both are running Windows 2003 server x64.

When I enable PowerNow on the 275 machine it posts and when the windows load starts, it reboots every time. Disabling PowerNow fixes the problem but it is working 100% on the 265 machine.

1. Does this mean that one or both of the 275 cpu’s are faulty?

The other odd thing I noticed is that even after swoping the cpu’s across the two machines, to eliminate a faulty sensor, the one 275 cpu keeps on running about 7 degrees hotter that the other one. Where the two 265's run at the same tempreture.

2. Could there be something wrong with the one cpu, or is a 7 degree difference acceptable?

Please help I am tired and desperate.
 09/17/2005 10:07 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
derGhostrider
Case Modder

QUOTE(Tsotsi @ Sep 16 2005, 02:38 PM)I have two new machines that are very similar. Both Tyan 2891 MB’s, Corsair Reg Memory, Hitachi 500gig HD’s. Except the one machine runs 2 x Opteron 275’s and the other 2 x Opteron 265’s. The 265 machine is working 100%. The 275 machine is a problem. Both are running Windows 2003 server x64.

When I enable PowerNow on the 275 machine it posts and when the windows load starts, it reboots every time. Disabling PowerNow fixes the problem but it is working 100% on the 265 machine.

1. Does this mean that one or both of the 275 cpu’s are faulty?

The other odd thing I noticed is that even after swoping the cpu’s across the two machines, to eliminate a faulty sensor, the one 275 cpu keeps on running about 7 degrees hotter that the other one. Where the two 265's run at the same tempreture.

2. Could there be something wrong with the one cpu, or is a 7 degree difference acceptable?

Please help I am tired and desperate.
[right][snapback]503940[/snapback][/right]

So one of your CPUs is hotter than the other. If you swap the 275s (CPU from first socket to the second socket and CPU from the second socket to the first socket) the higher temperature should be displayed at the "other" socket as it was displayed before. Please try this just to make sure that it is 100% CPU related and not something like a strange BIOS bug that always displays the first temperature 7degrees too high or too low.
(Sorry, I can't concentrate today... I hope that you can understand - or at least guess - what I mean)

I'd recommend that you test just one 275 in your board and enable the Powermanagement. Then replace the CPU with the second Opteron 275. If one will fail and the other will work you know that you just have to replace one CPU.
If both work in a single CPU setup you have a problem... /wink.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='wink.gif' />

But that's enough at once to start with.

In Short:
1. Swap the 275s to check if the displayed higher temperature will swap as well (write down which CPU has the higher temp!
2. Remove the second CPU, try to boot with powermanagement.
3. Remove the first CPU, insert the second into the first socket and try again.

If you have a lot of luck you may see that the hotter CPU won't boot with the powermanagement enabled but the other CPU will boot. Should be no problem to RMA it after all that testing.

-------------------------
Regards,
  Ghostrider

·CPUs - 2*Opteron 246
·Mainboard - Tyan Thunder K8W S2885ANRF
·RAM - 4*Corsair TwinX1024RE-3200LL (4GB, 8*512MB, DDR400, 2-3-2)
·Graphics - HIS IceQ-II X800Pro
·HDD - Western Digital Raptor WD740GD, 74GB, 10k
·RAID - 3Ware 7850, 64bit PCI, 8chn hardware RAID
·RAID-HDDs - 5*WD800JB
·Optical - 1*SlimSize CD-ROM; 1*NEC7441 DVD-RW
·Sound - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite Pro

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information