Increase font size
Topic Title: Temps dont match?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/27/2005 08:53 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/27/2005 08:53 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
paw64

I am testing a Opteron 246 with a Zalman 92mm fan, on a Tyan s2892, Im useing 'aida32' to sample temp.
Im useing a Fluke 189/fvf2 with a thermo-couple record temp.

The intake air temp is 13.2c

It reads Mobo temp at 20c
and CPU temp of 21c

I put some 'articSilver5' on the tip of the temp-prob and touched it to the corner of the CPU. It read at 23.2c

Isnt the CPU temp prob in the center of the CPU? and if so, why is the temp of the corner higher than the center?

Can anyone help me with this?

-------------------------
Is that... smoke?
 12/28/2005 10:52 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
derGhostrider
Case Modder

Temperature readings are not as easy as it may seem to be.

If you find a thermo-couple that can read temperatures more precise than +-1°C it is already a REALLY good one!

Is the thermocouple officially calibrated? (Normally you get some sort of certificate if it is calibrated...)

E.g.: Usual simple digital thermometers for the air temperature that cou can buy everywhere show some stuff like "23.2°C" and make the customer think: wow - it shows the temperature 0.1°C correct! - but that's just a marketing trick. These thermometers (at least when they are cheap) often vary up to 3 or 4°C!!! If you have a better one it will be +-1°C accurate and a really good (and really expensive) one maybe even less than that.

So if it is not calibrated (I think that you would need a calibrated thermocouple and tested, also calibrated software or an "build in" display) you can't say which temperature is wron. Maybe the CPU displays 1° less than the true temperature and the thermocouple about 1.5° more... mabe one is exact and the other one is far away...

I study physics and even with calibrated thermometers it can be very tricky to get a reliable and good temperature reading. You should also take care if the calibration has beed done for the temperature range you are interested in!

-------------------------
Regards,
  Ghostrider

·CPUs - 2*Opteron 246
·Mainboard - Tyan Thunder K8W S2885ANRF
·RAM - 4*Corsair TwinX1024RE-3200LL (4GB, 8*512MB, DDR400, 2-3-2)
·Graphics - HIS IceQ-II X800Pro
·HDD - Western Digital Raptor WD740GD, 74GB, 10k
·RAID - 3Ware 7850, 64bit PCI, 8chn hardware RAID
·RAID-HDDs - 5*WD800JB
·Optical - 1*SlimSize CD-ROM; 1*NEC7441 DVD-RW
·Sound - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite Pro

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information